LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finished MSD opti install

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished MSD opti install but need help.

Well last night i finised up putting my car back togather i bought a Msd pro billet opti. i got that on and then put the a new water pump on. It was a hard time to get the pump to go on. but i got it on. i put everything else back togather and fired it up. She started right up and i let it run for a while. There was no leaks and the pump is pumping, the thermostat opened. My only question is there seams to be a whine cominh from the motor. i never heard it befprei did all this stuff. Do you think i could be the pump, or possible the msd opti making more noise?? When i rev it up you can hear it a little more? Is i possible that the shaft on the water pump didn't line up or somthing??
Any help would be great.

Last edited by knightrider95; 08-31-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knightrider95
Well last night i finised up putting my car back togather i bought a Msd pro billet opti. i got that on and then put the a new water pump on.
Where'd you buy the water pump? Was it a brand new original GM pump or a remanufactured model?

Sounds like bearing whine.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Its a brand new pump from napa thats where i work.

I drove it today and it was fine for about 10 mins and the it the motor started to get a stumble above 3000 rpms and then it got works a couple minutes later and i babyed it home and got im my driveway and the tach was just bouching up and down and when i tried to rev it back fired a little bit. but before all this it was runing great so i don't think it could be the opti or timing. but i dont know what do you guys think.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:24 PM
KFK
On The Tree

I agree that it sounds like a bearing whine. (obviously can't tell not being there) But my .02 is that the napa part is probably bad. In my experience their parts suck! (been a while but I worked at napa in HS) Make sure the waterpump isn't leaking onto the opti but you may have another problem also. check the wires to make sure they are all on tight.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default Dont drive anymore

Dont run the car until you pull everything apart and make sure all the pieces and parts are in place. If you had a hard time putting the pump on, Im thinking your putting some "unwanted" force on the pump shaft. Check the shaft length on the pump. Maybe if that was replaced, its too long?

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Finished MSD opti install