LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finished Door Panel pics for Project 8sec LT1

Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finished Door Panel pics for Project 8sec LT1

Finally got the door panels back from the upholstery shop after being matched to my carpet color.... So here they are.... For anyone that hasn't followed the story the stock door panels would not clear the cage so I had a friend (with my help) fab up some door panels from very lightweight aluminum. I mocked them up, trimmed where necessary to clear the door then dropped them off at the shop to be carpeted (to get me around some racing classes that state "all interior must be carpeted" to avoid the guys with sheetmetal dashes trying to compete)..... So hope you enjoy....

FWIW, I'm not too sure my buddy can make another set only cause he did it at his job using their materials... might not be a good idea to try churning out door panels on company time and money.... but PM me if you want to find out how we made em.....

enjoy...

Old 09-01-2006, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

Awesome work Bro! I'm trying to lose some weight, care to share any specs/prints, etc? Shooting for 10.9 next week if I get her back from GForce in time, they're fixing a minor hiccup in my ignition or fuel that I don't have time to trace.

Really nice craftsmanship there!
Old 09-01-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

looks great... they did a nice job on them... so how long are you looking until she is all finished??? im ready to see what its going to do...
Old 09-02-2006, 05:07 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks guys.... well right now myself and my engine builder are discussing back and forth the nitrous system.... He wants a custom NX direct port system and a plate for the 2nd stage.... I'm thinking we go plate right now from Speedtech, jet it for the 300 shot and call it a day... then once the car is running we can take the manifold off and have it direct ported, jet the plate down to the 100 shot and do the DP for the 300 shot... at least then i won't have to wait for the manifold to be completely modded for my motor to be finished.... i'd rather have a motor that is running soon with a plate rather than a motor on a stand without a manifold waiting on a trick DP system... I want DP but I don't want it to hold up the motor.... so once we argue that back and forth work will continue on..... realistically money wise I'm a few months out from having it done... i'm not cutting any corners and everything on the car is being done top notch.....

Either way i'm looking for it to make it's maiden passes (maybe NA at first) to be sometime in the cool air of Jan/Feb.... no sense fighting the weather...

PS-Brett, PM me and i'll give you the full skinny on the materials used and how we did it.... it's really not that hard and anyone with access to sheetmetal and a sheetmetal break can bend the small bend you need to put in it.... all that it needs after that is a good mockup with clear plastic.....
Old 09-02-2006, 08:54 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good Jason! The did a great job. Will the window crank still work with the door bar right there?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great man!
Old 09-02-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

how much weight was shaved doing that to the doors?
Old 09-02-2006, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

I believe the stock door panels are like 11 lbs a piece maybe more....

These are like 3 lbs each.... So I saved like almost 20 lbs.... I did it more for door clearance with the cage but the extra benefit was the weight loss... I think the door panels (stock) are more than 11 lbs... I didn't weigh them but they weighed a ton.... I'm going by the LS1tech weight list...

Tony yeah the window crank works... You can't tell from that pic cause it looks like they are on the same depth but the door bar and the window crank have about a 3" depth clearance... the window crank is further tucked in than the door bar.... works great so far...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finished Door Panel pics for Project 8sec LT1