LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fans/actr

Old 09-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fans/actr

Well I keep blowing the fans/actr fuse. I have checked the following things, O2 sensor and wires(good), cooling fan motors(replaced), and evap solenoid(disconnected and drove around a bit). Fuse still blew after checking all those items. I also do not have EGR or AIR anymore so those two can't be causing it. I didn't check the reverse lockout solenoid but I can't go in reverse while I'm driving still so I guess it's working. Any ideas as to what can be causing this damn fuse to blow? I would like to have my cooling fans come on.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

try a higher amp fuse
let me know how that goes
Old 09-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Forgot to mention I tried that and it blew too.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, what ever you do, Don't use the "advice" of a higher amp fuse. They are rated to a specific amperage for a reason. Don't over ride that.

Your going to need to find everything that fuse feeds. I don't have my power dis diagrams here, but I will try and find them. I know you say that the 02 wires are ok, but if you have headers check again. Time and time again I have see them melt and short. Unplug everything on that circuit and double check it all. Install a new fuse. Then one by one start plugging components in untill the fuse blows.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG Harlan,finally someone agrees and knows not to put a higher rated fuse in an accessory.
as stated you have to find out what is cxausing the fuse to blow,something is being shorted to ground,i had a similar situation.the fan would cycle and the fuse would pop traced it back to the fan motor.i thought it may be the relay so i disconnected the fan first and allowed it to cycle with a test light on and the light came on fuse did not blow as soon as i reconnected the fan it blew again.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Well I had ran out of 10's so I put a 15 in it for a temp purpose and it blew within a few minutes. I have to have the car running for the fuse to blow. I checked the O2 wires up too the heads and the wires are fine.
The FANS/ACTR fuse powers lots of things and any of those things could be causing it to blow. The list differs slightly if it is an automatic or manual.

O2s
EVAP solenoid
EGR solenoid
reverse lockout
skip shift
fan relays
That's from a post made by shoebox.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fans/actr