LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Radiator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator problem?

I was driving my car and i noticed the temp gauge going up. (it has been doing this for a little while now, but then would go back down to normal. So, i figured the gauge was messed up) I figured the temp would just go down like it normally did, but this time it stayed hot. I got a little paranoid and decided to pull off and check to see what was going on. Well, sure enough, when i opened the hood, there was coolant coming out of the overflow.

The coolant ran down to the ground a bit and i noticed the horrible color. It was orange, but almost like a rusty color. Im pretty sure the coolant is supposed to be a different color than green, but this isn't normal...Anyway, we checked the overflow and it looks like there is rust inside of there. At first, i checked the fans to make sure they worked and they did. Then, my friend thought maybe it could be a head gasket. (although, the motor was just re-done not too long ago and has new head gaskets) He checked the oil and it was normal, no weird color or anything. When i started the car again, there was no smoke coming out of the exhaust either.

So, we put some water in the overflow to see if i could make it home and if it was low. It took two full 64oz cups of water. After the first cup, i started the car and it still would keep getting hot, so i continued to put the second cup in. By the time i finished, the tow truck was there. When he moved the car, i noticed more water under the car. It almost looked like the water i was pooring in, was coming out. Perhaps there is a whole in the overflow? Although, it didn't look like two 64oz cups of water...

What do you guys think it should be? What should i do? A friend of mine who was with me, is thinking about coming over and flushing the radiator. Then we will fill it up with coolant and see what happens. I need to dirve to work tomorrow. Im pretty close though. (about 2mins) Hopefully nothing will happen on the way...

Any other ideas?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Did they put the new red stuff in it when you put it back together?
Old 09-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Launching!

No, the car just got towed and we haven't worked on it since. The only thing put back in the radiator overflow was the 2 64oz cups of water.

We also thought it could be the thermostat. Although, i have a 160 thermostat, so its not old. I also have my car tuned to that thermostat. The fans always kick on early.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by the_merv
Did they put the new red stuff in it when you put it back together?
I think he was asking if they put dexcool back in the radiator or not; it's not compatible with other types of antifreeze. It will sludge up your radiator giving the appearance of rust/sludge.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95zpro
I think he was asking if they put dexcool back in the radiator or not; it's not compatible with other types of antifreeze. It will sludge up your radiator giving the appearance of rust/sludge.
Who is they? No one put dexcool in the car, or any other antifreeze in that night. Before any of this happen, yes there was dexcool in the car, which is why it is that color.

Im surprised no one has any imput on this. I thought LT1's always seemed to have over heating problems...
Old 09-03-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Your rad fluid needs changing it shouldnt be orange...Rad fluid runs out just like everything else does just takes longer. Dont keep putting water in your rad need some rad fluid to so follow what I am about to say...

Drain your rad, flush it out (Just the rad). Might as well change to a lower thermostat like 160* while your draining it. Put in a new 50/50 pre mixed rad fluid. Remember to fill the rad up first not the reservoir, then fill the reservoir after and keep filling until its between the fill marks.

You should be good to go after that.

You can do all this yourself fairly easy.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Your description sounds like air in the system. (Gets real hot, tstat opens, then it cools down -- might repeat and stabilize.) Keep driving like that and it will just get worse.

Open the radiator and see if it's low. If it is, top it off and bleed the system. Don't go by the overflow -- too much air will prevent the overflow from working right.

Don't know about the color issue: I'd have to see it to comment. But flushing and starting over wouldn't hurt anything except your wallet.

How did air get in?
Might not have been bled properly last time system was open.
Might be a pinhole leak in one on your hoses.
Might be ...
Old 09-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Teching In

when i got my 97 ws6 I had an over heating problem and thought i fixed it because it ran very well then the next day hauling *** 100 and up and the car then turned off at a stop light and i blew my head gasket. After that when i rebuilt my motor, it ended up that it wasnt pressurized right and was shooting coolant out.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Overheating could be caused by a bad waterpump, thermostat, radiator cap or a clogged radiator. If you have a small leak and the coolant level is low it will also overheat. If the Dexcool in your car is sludgy/rusty looking you probably have a leak, Dexcool will turn to sludge if you let air get in the coolong system (like from a small leak) Fill it up with coolant, bleed it and watch for your coolant level going down.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
Your rad fluid needs changing it shouldnt be orange...Rad fluid runs out just like everything else does just takes longer. Dont keep putting water in your rad need some rad fluid to so follow what I am about to say...

Drain your rad, flush it out (Just the rad). Might as well change to a lower thermostat like 160* while your draining it. Put in a new 50/50 pre mixed rad fluid. Remember to fill the rad up first not the reservoir, then fill the reservoir after and keep filling until its between the fill marks.

You should be good to go after that.

You can do all this yourself fairly easy.
I already have a 160* thermostat and my car is tuned, so the fans kick on early. I think im taking my car to the mechanics tomorrow, just to be sure about things.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z 2 8
I already have a 160* thermostat and my car is tuned, so the fans kick on early. I think im taking my car to the mechanics tomorrow, just to be sure about things.
if you do let us know what the problem is see if anyone of us were right =)

how new is the thermo?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Launching!

No longer than a year old.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Well, i got the car back today. It ended up being the thermostat.

The only thing that stinks, is now i have the stock thermostat, which i think is a 185. I used to have a 160. Although, like i said before that thermostat was not very old. Should i just stick with the one i have now, or think about getting another 160. I noticed the car runs a little hotter now, but not much. It stays at about 180 or so, no higher. Before it was no higher than 170. Does it really matter that much?

Quick Reply: Radiator problem?