pcmforless.com

does anyone have a upgraded computer from them, if so how did you like it
Old 09-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jays97 t/a
pcmforless.com

does anyone have a upgraded computer from them, if so how did you like it
I loved my tune. put down good numbers on mustang dyno.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

I'm happy with my tune, good guy to deal with and very helpful
Old 09-06-2006, 09:49 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

great tune for just being a mail-order, spuer bang for the buck also
I couldnt be happier with mine, it indeed DOES make a "seat of the pants" difference..... hope this helps
Old 09-06-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buddy got a pcm4less tune for his LT1 car and it is running so lean that it scorched the ceramic coating off of a brand new set of headers in 1 day.

Headers look like they have chalk on them.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

like everyone stated above....they do great tunes, and have great customer sevice! i will def. have bryan do my tune again after the cam.....
Old 09-06-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea they do great work and have awesome customer service! I recommend them
Old 09-06-2006, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

I'll never understand why you all get mail order tunes???? Just seems like a big risk to me. If you can't sit down with a reputable tuner... face to face, and hook up a wideband & do a few runs.... how in the world is a mail order tune gonna even get you close to where you need to be??

When I got my tune done I probably did 6 WOT runs, with PCM flashing in between runs until we got it spot on.... I guarantee a mail order tune would not net the same results.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

They did my tune for my heads and cam. Made good power on the dyno but drivabilty is lacking. If your going with a tried and true set up like a CC306 or GM847 cam they can probably nail it but if you've got some custom ground cam or other mods that aren't so common it might need the fine tunning that only a local tuner can provide.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ShadyPhi
I'll never understand why you all get mail order tunes???? Just seems like a big risk to me. If you can't sit down with a reputable tuner... face to face, and hook up a wideband & do a few runs.... how in the world is a mail order tune gonna even get you close to where you need to be??

When I got my tune done I probably did 6 WOT runs, with PCM flashing in between runs until we got it spot on.... I guarantee a mail order tune would not net the same results.
Some people dont live in an area where there are tuners, like Hawaii here. But you can gather all the data a tuner needs to get you going, like borrowing/buying a wideband, getting datalogging software etc.
Alvin, pcmforless, has tuned several cars here in Hawaii and No one has melted a motor, or header coatings,Sometimes you need to see what else was done for that to happen All of his engines out here run great. . For example, a friends brand new vette was having the exhaust manifolds glowing red, after a tune and we found it to be a loose injector plug, causing a rich condition which the computer compensated for. He blamed the tune, till we found the problem.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ShadyPhi

Well IMO you're going to have a better tune all around if you can get real world results aka on the street and on the strip.

But in all fairness, okay point me to a reputable tuner that's close to me who can tune my car? Not really such a thing. If Byran can tune my friends 383 stroker to run good, and then after a few dyno passes with wideband and then street tuning done by my friend, can only got 8-10 more rwhp out of the tune, I'd say that's damn close for a mail order tune.

Some of you guys need to get the big picture. When there's no such thing as a reputable tuner within miles of where you live (and just because they own a dyno doenst make them a good tuner), I'd be taking a mail order 10000000000000x over a hypertech unit or similiar anyday
Old 09-06-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Buddy got a pcm4less tune for his LT1 car and it is running so lean that it scorched the ceramic coating off of a brand new set of headers in 1 day.

Headers look like they have chalk on them.
hmm, I do a majority of my own tuning and I've looked at quite a few of the tunes I've been sent and a few of my friends i've looked at, and Ive found bryan doesnt make tunes that lean. he still leaves a majority of them on the safe side. Are you sure your buddy wasnt having other sensor related problems (Ie 02s, MAF, etc)? What kind of headers were they?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by buffman
Well IMO you're going to have a better tune all around if you can get real world results aka on the street and on the strip.
I agree...

But in all fairness, okay point me to a reputable tuner that's close to me who can tune my car? Not really such a thing. If Byran can tune my friends 383 stroker to run good, and then after a few dyno passes with wideband and then street tuning done by my friend, can only got 8-10 more rwhp out of the tune, I'd say that's damn close for a mail order tune.
I agree if you can't find a tuner anywhere near you. i am fortunate that where I am located, we have a few... (and they back it up their work 110%) The guy I goto has tuned 50+ F-bodies.

Some folks out there maybe don't care if there tune is 8-10 rwhp off. However.... I do. If I'm investing all this money & time in my car.... I want things done right, and I want the car running at its peak.

Some of you guys need to get the big picture. When there's no such thing as a reputable tuner within miles of where you live (and just because they own a dyno doenst make them a good tuner), I'd be taking a mail order 10000000000000x over a hypertech unit or similiar anyday
Buffman, good point. If given the 2 options, hypercrap or mail order... I'd be right with you.

For all the guys out there looking for a tune, I'd recommend searching around town (if you have a local F-body club... that can be a BIG HELP)....
Old 09-07-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

ok... but alvin and bryan from pcmforless... has spent countless hours working and learning just these cars...not to mention all the others he can tune.. i have talked to alvin personally on several occasions... he has developed most of the stuff you see in tunercats... in my tune he has developed a built in two step into my tune... clutch in and under 2mph it sets.. i have it set at 3K and can change it anytime i need.. put the gas to the floor and dump the clutch.. it holds at 3K until i dump it or ease it...
if anyone can do that he has got my vote...
did a wonder on my car..
Old 09-07-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm, I do a majority of my own tuning and I've looked at quite a few of the tunes I've been sent and a few of my friends i've looked at, and Ive found bryan doesnt make tunes that lean. he still leaves a majority of them on the safe side. Are you sure your buddy wasnt having other sensor related problems (Ie 02s, MAF, etc)? What kind of headers were they?
hooker headers

maybe a sensor but it didnt do it with the stock setup and stock tune

after a hotcam, roller rockers, and a lil head work along with the reprogrammed computer its so lean the headers turned milky white from the flange to just past the 1st bend and also the plugs are scorched
Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

pcmforless is the ****! hypercrap is well... crap... if it's 10 hp your worried about, get a datalogger and hook the laptop up and send that info in. they do unlimited updates/fixes for 6 months until you get it right. I'm with buffman. I'm not far from him, and finding a tuner round here would be TOUGH. We'd have to go all the way to Chicago, or Detriot. that is outta my reach for a toss of a tuner. I'll take my pcmforless.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

They did my 94 Camaro and now theyre doing a chip for my Vette which if it doesnt show up By Sunday I'm going to be pissed.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think you can go wrong with either or. I just think you might get more out of a dyno tune cause you can actually see what the car is reading, and how it's reacting
Old 09-07-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
I don't think you can go wrong with either or. I just think you might get more out of a dyno tune cause you can actually see what the car is reading, and how it's reacting
you prolly can. but every dyno tune I see is like 500 bux.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrCadillac
you prolly can. but every dyno tune I see is like 500 bux.
$350.00 for 4hrs on the dyno which was about 14 passes