LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LTCC,DELTEQ, vs. New MSD opti....????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTCC,DELTEQ, vs. New MSD opti....????

which is the best overall for performance applications like big motors and heads and cam set up???
Old 09-08-2006, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

I've "heard" that the opti's start to miss at high rpm, the delteq is awesome though i have it.. zero problems, fires RIGHT up
Old 09-08-2006, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

Both LTCC & DELTEQ are good units, I had issues with my PCM and the LTCC, all brand new, ended up going back to a new OPTI and runs great! After enough research I learned a lot of the big dogs are running the OPTIs with no issues. Personally I think the MSD cap/rotor would be nice on a new GM OPTI due to it's dialectric compound, brass tips which I understand prevents the infamous crossarching @high rpm on stockers.

Still not sure about the billet msd units.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Dynaspark.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Brett I had issues only with the Delteq. many have great luck with the LTCC and Delteq. both of us at about the same time had issues

I am back in a Opti with MSD Cap and rotor. will be testing new MSD Opti soon.

Shifting at 7,200 BTW with NO issues
Old 09-09-2006, 04:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Like Brett I had issues only with the Delteq. many have great luck with the LTCC and Delteq. both of us at about the same time had issues

No joke, I packed the entire new setup into a box, I'll sell it on Ebay one day or something. Opti for now, crank-trig/CPS w/true dist out back next time I upgrade the iggy.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:31 AM
TECH Resident

Delteq pointless if you already have a failing opti, need to order a new one or upgrade it. All I can say for now, kind buzzing really bad, and running on only like 5 hours of sleep..
Old 09-09-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv

I thought you were doing that at one point with a stock opti?
Old 09-09-2006, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR
No joke, I packed the entire new setup into a box, I'll sell it on Ebay one day or something. Opti for now, crank-trig/CPS w/true dist out back next time I upgrade the iggy.
Same here after you helped me out!

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
Delteq pointless if you already have a failing opti, need to order a new one or upgrade it. All I can say for now, kind buzzing really bad, and running on only like 5 hours of sleep..
How about three new opti's in one day and same problem. is that enough? yanked it all off and it ran better then it ever did

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
I thought you were doing that at one point with a stock opti?
You are correct. I spent over $2,500 by the time it was ssaid and done and the Delteq would not work. I replaced every part in it and it would not work on my car. I went back to a stock opti with MSD cap and rotor kit with my MSD 6T installed and all was well again

See sig for results
Old 09-09-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn sounds like the MSD billet distributor for me..... i wasnt sure if i should trust either system i have been running my opti now for years with no problem just wanted to do my research
Old 09-09-2006, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Another vote for a stock base with MSD cap and rotor for those of you who actually read what folks are saying.

The "features" of the billet opti are near useless and more likely to result in the use causing problems than any performance gain.

I had over 96K on one stock opti problem free and 70K on another just put a MSD cap and rotor on that one with the heads/cam swap because everything was laready apart. The MSD cap and rotor APPEAR to be of better than stock construction but EVERY objective person here will tell you they atre too new to have truely proven much yet. Many of us have enough faith to spend the little extra to give them a shot though.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

stock Opti working fine up to 6400 RPM

New Gm Opti
MSD Blaster Coil
MSD 6AL
Taylor 8MM wires
NGK TR6's
New ICM
Old 09-10-2006, 08:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im tellin ya what I got my MSD billet opti friday, and I couldnt resist. I tore into that thing like a kid at christmas. It looks alot nicer inside than a stock opti. The optical sensor has a bigger wheel, resulting in more teeth. I dont know how its gonna run or if it will last longer than 6k miles but it does look nice on the inside.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

I dare you to count the teeth bet you find the same 360 one for each degree in a circle. I have handled the MSD billet opti and it is a pretty piece but when I say the "features" will just contribute to problems I speak from an experiance I had helping someone with one, ended up taking it off and putting a stocker back on.

VERY few folks here are going to be knowledgable and determined enough to actually use it correctly, fabricating the timing pointer alone is beyond the skills of many here, most will try to adjust timing with it and in doing so screwup the whole curve rather than just the area that needed attention.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

96capricemgr y would the features contribute to the problems. i am pretty sure that those here would just install and forget about messsing with it.... so i want to know specific info on y it would cause more of a mess.... not trying to start problems just trying to do my research. i had a buddy install one on a LT4 with no problems...
Old 09-10-2006, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Well besides the KISS priciple(Keep It Simple Stupid) meaning why add complication when it will not serve any purpose. There is the fact that unless you REALLY know what you are doing and have a timing pointer and maybe degreed the cam you should not be messing with the timing adjustment feature. The guy I helped had a problem with how the car ran and thought it might be the timing since they recommend checking the setting from the factory and fussed with it and the adjustment mechanism got all fouledup. Was this his fault yes BUT I can see a whole hell of a lot more folks doing this than actually getting any benifit out of it.

What eactly do you think the benifits of being able to adjust the timing like that are?
Old 09-10-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oh ok i get it now just wanted to make sure you were talking about cam timing vs. installing it w/o using the features. i know that some cams are not to be installed at TDC, at that they require or can be degree'd to get the most power. i knw that on circle track cars they install the cams 2 degrees adavanced since they are always at higher rpm rather than lower were they dont make any power. so i guess it depends on the type of motor you are building. i know most people here dont know that but since you were knowledgable with the unit i figured to ask questions. thanks for the info.

Last edited by 1SLO6; 09-10-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Cams are generally ground with some degree of advance to them, degreeing a cam should mean simply checking everyting and maybe using offset bushings to correct for any tolerance stacking. If you are advancing or retarding the cam to change the powerband that is a bandaid for a wrongly speced cam.

One guy on the b-body board tries to make a big deal about how with this you could account for tolerance stacking and get the injectors to fire at exactly the right time again but that argument is pointless look how well the batch fire multi port systems worked and a sequential off a huge amount say 10degrees will still be miles ahead of that. Under hard throttle the injectors are open MUCH longer than the valve too so no benifit whatsoever then. If tolerance stacking has the opti actually delivering the spark a degree earlier or later than the pcm thinks it is that should not matter either because the timing should be done to get power and drivability with more focus on results than the actual number the pcm displays.

The timing adjustment is a better marketting gimmick than anything else and the hopefully upgraded cap and rotor offer all the other major "benifits" of the whole opti.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i completly agree with u.....
Old 09-10-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1SLO6
i completly agree with u.....
Not me We have been waiting for a feature like this for years! MANY times we find even custom ground cams are off and much as 3 degree's from what we spec'd out.