LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

False Knock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Knock Question

I autotapped my car and got DTC P0332 which means Low Current Frequency bank 2. With the knock sensor bad would this be causing my knock of 10.9 at high rpms. Also I cleared the code and it will come right back. All other things were fine like spark, fuel etc...... When the dtc is stored the knock happens quicker and more drastic so can this knock be caused by a bad sensor.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Knock Question

possibly. best way to check for false knock is to run higher octane gas. if the knock is still present you have false knock and can go from there about resolving the issue(LT4 Knock Module or disabling the sensor entirely). if the knock goes away, then you have real knock and need to take care of it as soon as possible. possible heat spots on the head, too much compression, any number of things.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default False KNock?

I am getting consistant knock retard throughout my entire rpm band in all gears more so in lower gears where there is more load such as 2,3, and 4. It will start out about 8 degrees and at wot in high rpms it will hit 17 degrees all fuel trims are fine, no misfires, and only DTC code was low current frequency on knock sensor bank 2 code P0332. I replaced knock sensor already and I have also run race fuel 104 octane. Still the knock occurs, I have been chasing this knock trying to find what it is but can not find anything wrong. The problem seems to be getting worse though I use to only get about 10 degrees at high rpms now I am getting 17.9. Also, the car is harder to start now too. May be a different problem but I'm not sure if it is connected in someway. If anyone has ay idea please let me know.
Also there is no knocking noise coming from car underneath or on top of engine.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: False KNock?

TTT
Old 10-21-2002, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

if you put higher octane gas in and the problem is still present then its false knock. check and make sure that all the exhaust bolts are secure and tight and not loose. if you have a cutout it will often cause false knock. invest in an LT4 knock module. i was getting roughly the same amount of knock as you, but once i put the LT4 KM in all the knock went away. do you have aftermarklet roller rockers, sometimes those cause false knock adn the looser they get the more false knock you will recieve. what are your temperatures when you run your car, are they fairly high? hope this helps some, let us know what you find
Old 10-23-2002, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey thanks for your reply. I already have the LT4 KM and have just replaced opti, knock sensor,and map sensor. Like I said though no knock is heard only a little rocker noise but LT1 valvetrains have been louder with no probs.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

hmmm, interesting. possibly a loose rocker or something that is setting off the knock sensor? and your sure you arent getting any detonation or anything?

<small>[ October 23, 2002, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: TAraysr ]</small>
Old 10-24-2002, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

No detonation. I have a question though how many knock counts are suppose to show regularly because on auto tap it showed my counts in the 5000 range. Could this be because I have a dtc for low voltage current on the knock sensor. I replaced the sensor so it nmust be the wiring but would this DTC cause th constant 8 degrees and the 11 I am now getting at WOT high rpms?

Quick Reply: False Knock?