LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How loud?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How loud?

I have a magnaflow catback...love the sound...not loud enough

I like my exhaust quiet when I need it to be and loud when I am on it. I know the answer is a cutout but I would ideally want a cutout infront of the cat and keep the cat in, but as all know the factory y-pipe runs right into the cat.
So my question is will the car be REALLY LOUD or just WOW that sounds good and loud without the cat?

thanks for the opinions
Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i had stock manifolds and cat with an e-cutout after the cat... it was loud enough to blur my rearview mirror... not too bad, but it did. Itll definitely turn some heads, however it wont even compare to a car with headers and an off road Y-pipe (like ive got now )
Old 09-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

yea headers and ORY make the car sound amazing. i have a hooker cat back with headers and ORY and it has a nice deep idle, but when i stand on it, it sounds like open pipes.... also, i put the headers on and at first i had a high flow cat on there and it sounded good, but when i switched to ORY it was a huge sound difference. so to answer ur question, removing the cat will make it sound better/ louder
Old 09-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Launching!

get an off-road pipe with a cut-out in it and put it where your cat is now. imo, catless is perfect for crusing. then uncap the cut-out when you want to race. when its time to get it smogged, throw on the cat for the inspection...pass...put the ORP back on. put flanges on the ORP and the cat. this is what i did at least, and i love it. of course, loud is a relative term. i have LM2 and headers without a cat and its still not too loud. actaully kinda tame in an idle but, mean as hell at WOT. but like i said loud for you might be different for me. did you check out ls1sounds.com?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Launching!

the cat is coming off!

Quick Reply: How loud?