LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 average with stock fully ported heads and intake and small cam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 04:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 383 average with stock fully ported heads and intake and small cam?

my buddy just paid about 7gs to have a bad *** 383 maid out of his stock lt1. he will be happy if it puts ABOUT 400 to the wheels....what is the average hp people are getting to the tire with a nice 383 stroker build??
There putting bigger valves in the heads to port them more then they can do with stock valves also porting his intake. he curently has headers and a cutout and an intake other then that its stock. his tunning will come pre tuned from a guy out of state....
7gs included everything from a new fuel system to porting on the heads, intake r and r on the motor with blue printing, new oil pump catch can system, every thing he needs to run this 383. it will be a everyday driver but, he says he wants it to sound like an old school car! however the builder talked him out of that for drivabilty reasons!?!?
what would be a nice lopy mid range power cam for the 383?? also i guess it will need to be a roller cam...
Old 09-23-2006, 06:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

"fully ported" means almost nothing. One companies fully ported might put down 330rwhp while another puts down 430rwhp and another that puts down only 400rwhp might be the fastest of the three.
Drivability and lope certainly can go together just fine, now emmissions and lope that is harder to deal with.

On the valves the reputable LT1 shops get A LOT out of LT1 heads with stock sized or with minor upgrades in size, if they are realy talking up to wonders of biger valves that would scare me.

I do not think it can be stressed enough that heads are the key to power not displacement and you should work with the head shop on the cam, not necessarily because they are magically matched but because then if problems arrise they are easier to deal with because they don't blame it on some part you chose.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I do not think it can be stressed enough that heads are the key to power not displacement and you should work with the head shop on the cam, not necessarily because they are magically matched but because then if problems arrise they are easier to deal with because they don't blame it on some part you chose.
I agree with Dwayne.
There are guys running 400 to the wheels with a not stroked LT1.
Heads will make or break the motor for power.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once again, another stroked LT1 with poor number goals

You could have done 400whp with just a good set of heads, Do it right why do so many people build a stroker for such small numbers? Waste of money
Old 09-23-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slick1851

You could have done 400whp with just a good set of heads, Do it right why do so many people build a stroker for such small numbers? Waste of money
agreed, could have got 400rwhp with just a set of nice heads...if you are going to go thought with all that work and money in a stroker you might as well expect some better numbers. I would imagine some LE2 or LE3 heads, on a 383 would put down some pretty nasty numbers
Old 09-24-2006, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851

But a stock short block will never make the power under the curve or torque that a stroker will.

Show me a LT1 350cid that makes 400+ tq from 2500-5500rpm and peaked at 447
Old 09-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chopstix
But a stock short block will never make the power under the curve or torque that a stroker will.

Show me a LT1 350cid that makes 400+ tq from 2500-5500rpm and peaked at 447

Lt1 heads dont flow good enough to really make that much higher #s. i have LE heads. When i was talking to him and my tuner (Ed Wright) they both said i could do a 355 or a 383 and they could set it up to make about the same peak rwhp #s. A 355 will peak around 6800rpm and a 383 will peak around 6000 on stock castings. And last time i checked 400rwhp was not something that gets smacked around at stoplights. Yea and the torque is just Awesome. And no i dont think my #s are too low.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the cam choice is just as critical as the head flow. I've been told that my car should be much quicker than it is with my ported heads/846 cam combo. My flow sheet shows 270/197, but my dyno numbers suggests something else. 355 rwhp

I see you guys saying that 400 rwhp is pretty simple to achieve now on a stock bottom end lt1 but I can't see how...unless you have a large cam with a M6. I'm sure LE's heads flow very well but I've heard that even his stage 2 cams are pretty big. I would love to see what one of his cams would do with my old heads.

Quick Reply: 383 average with stock fully ported heads and intake and small cam?