LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant loss and White smoke? HELP~!

Old 02-17-2003, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant loss and White smoke? HELP~!

Ok, the other night i was cruisin in the TA, 95 LT1, when the temp gauge shoots from 180-260 and back to 180 in a matter of 3 secs. I pulled into a gas station and the car started smokin like cheech and chong 2003. White/Grey smoke billowing out the exhaust. I wasnt about to release pressure on the radiator, but i did check the bone dry resevoir, ended up lettin the car sit a few mins, adding 1 entire bottle of coolant to the tank and crankin her back up...she still smoked but not as bad. Drove it all the way home about 20 miles, let it sit overnight. Over the last two days i have been having to add coolant, sometimes it smokes, sometimes it dont....doesnt make much sense if its the head gasket, i woyuld think it would smoke constantly and a lot of it.:alert: THere is no oil in the radiator or the water pump, i've checked both, and nothing looks wrong with the oil inside the valve cover. I did notice a little bit, very little actually of whitish residue in the fill stem for the oil. There is no power loss, and i dont see any other coolant leaks, of course that doesnt mean they dont exist...getting a pressure tester soon. Also did a coolant check and its fine inside the radiator. Any ideas? Im trying to avoid taking apart the entire f***ing engine for a head gasket fix that might not be the problem....
Old 02-17-2003, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Coolant loss and White smoke? HELP~!

check the actual engine oil from the oil pan...let it run a few minutes to get the oil stirred up then drain the oil and check for any water in it. you might have possibly warped the head or blown the gasket. best of luck in finding the answer.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Coolant loss and White smoke? HELP~!

pull the heads, sounds like a blown head gasket.
i have replaced a many of them. and while the heads r off resurface them,and get them checked for cracks. goodluck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant loss and White smoke? HELP~!