LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car keeps overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car keeps overheating

First off I have a 96 Trans Am. A little while ago I threw a code saying that I had multiple cylinder misfires. I drove my car down to the hobby shop here on base where I replaced the opti-spark, plugs, and wires. As I was putting it back together I discovered that the water pump that I had replaced just a year earlier had been leaking out of the weep hole. So I got a new water pump and thermostat and put them on. I also suspected that one of my two radiator fan motors had gone bad so I went ahead and replaced it while I had the assembly out. I put it all back together and properly filled up the cooling system with someone who had a little bit more experience with cooling systems than I do (since this car gave me some trouble a year ago when I replaced the water pump). Well after about three hours of trying to get the car to keep cool they were closing so I drove the car to their parking lot. It appeared that everything was working as advertised with the exception of the fans, they never turned on. When I drove it to the shop the car kept cool and now it keeps getting to the point where even just at idol, it gets so hot I have to turn it off before I do some damage. I checked the three relays and the one fuse and they checked out good. The temp gauge works so I assume that the sensor is good. Any advice on what steps to take next would be greatly appreciated. Thanks – A.J.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a tune. makes the fan come on sooner. make sure ur gauge is working. had a problem with the work truck over heating and it turned out that its was the gauges acting up!!
Old 10-05-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

yeah if the car didn't get up to 225-230 the fans won't come on.

If it did and the still didn't then you have a problem somewhere, fan, relay, wiring, etc.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Yeah my gauge is working properly but I’ve heard that there are two sensors on most cars, one that sends a signal to the gauge and one that sends a signal to the computer and that the one for the computer could be malfunctioning. As for the temp, it will go all the way to the red unless I cut it off first. I want to try to avoid taking it to a shop but it’s starting to look inevitable.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96T/A
Yeah my gauge is working properly but I’ve heard that there are two sensors on most cars, one that sends a signal to the gauge and one that sends a signal to the computer and that the one for the computer could be malfunctioning. As for the temp, it will go all the way to the red unless I cut it off first. I want to try to avoid taking it to a shop but it’s starting to look inevitable.

my car did the exact same thing last summer. I ended up replacing the 160 thermo w/ another 160 and it kept over heating, so i put a 180 in it, changed the sensors and flushed it out 4 times with a " Prestone Radiator Flush Kit" - sold at autozone for like $3.00 and did a coolant system pressure test.
replaced my cap- cuz it tested bad also. and i've not had a problems since.. - but you'd be amazed at how much nasty crap comes out of that when you flush it.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Teching In

I did a radiator flush when I did the water pump a year ago. Where are the sensors located on an LT1? Do they both go by the same name? When I called part stores they only had one “Engine temp sensor”. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96T/A
I did a radiator flush when I did the water pump a year ago. Where are the sensors located on an LT1? Do they both go by the same name? When I called part stores they only had one “Engine temp sensor”. Thanks for all the help.

The sensors have 2 different part numbers. and one is in the waterpump and the other is in the side of the block between cyl #'s 1 & 3 ( driver side of the engine)

One is a Coolant temp sensor and the other is a temperature switch. from autozone i believe the part numbers were like SU109 and SU145.. i think, but dont quote me on that. - the sensor is the one on the waterpump and the temp switch is the one in the block.

This flush that you did- was it a Back Flush- using this kit or did you just simpily hook up a hose and run it through?

Quick Reply: Car keeps overheating