LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clutch and Fly Wheel Reccs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clutch and Fly Wheel Reccs?

My current clutch and flywheel are out of balance causing a vibration and I can't find the alignment points since the flywheel has been resurfaced in teh past. However, since the flywheel and cluth were contaminated with oil from a rear main leak I'd like to go ahead and look at replacing them anyway. My current setup is a Centerforce steel flywheel and centerforce dual friction clutch. I drive my car very little as she is just a pleasure cruiser and I'm only pushing around 400 at the wheels. Any recommendations on a new setup to go with? Stick with a steel flywheel or switch to aluminum? I'd like a clutch that grabs good but is not a bear to push the pressure plate. Let me know and thanks.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Is the engine internally balanced? I have a spec billet steel FW and Stage 3+ clutch and engagement is just like stock.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

you have a 383...is it internal balance?

most likely is which means a "stock" FW needs to be neutral balanced. Even if you buy a supposed "zero" balanced aftermarket FW...have a shop spin it to confirm. Every time I have found they were not spot on. Bring your PP in also and have them then zero balance it to the FW

you can have your existing FW zero balanced and resurfaced and just buy a new clutch disc. McLeod sells just a DF disc through places like Summit, Jegs, etc if your PP is in good shape to reuse

on a stock PP/FW there is a paint dab but on a replacement FW and most clutch PP there is not. I was told if the PP has a paint dab to line that up with the dowel hole on the FW, this would be for a stock external balanced motor
Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Is the engine internally balanced? I have a spec billet steel FW and Stage 3+ clutch and engagement is just like stock.
Yup - LT1's are internally balanced. My flywheel is zero balanced and a centerforce steel flywheel. PM me some specs on the setup you have an any pics if possible.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ******
you have a 383...is it internal balance?

most likely is which means a "stock" FW needs to be neutral balanced. Even if you buy a supposed "zero" balanced aftermarket FW...have a shop spin it to confirm. Every time I have found they were not spot on. Bring your PP in also and have them then zero balance it to the FW

you can have your existing FW zero balanced and resurfaced and just buy a new clutch disc. McLeod sells just a DF disc through places like Summit, Jegs, etc if your PP is in good shape to reuse

on a stock PP/FW there is a paint dab but on a replacement FW and most clutch PP there is not. I was told if the PP has a paint dab to line that up with the dowel hole on the FW, this would be for a stock external balanced motor
I've been toying with the idea of having the flywheel resurfaced and having it balanced with the pp bolted on. However, it's hard to find someone locally that will balance them together. I know I probably just have it bolted on wrong/out of balanace, but there is no way to tell for sure as there is no markings except on the PP (centerforce's yellow dot) and I can go with new setup or stick with this one. Also, do you know how many times you can have a flywheel resurfaced? I've had mine done once already.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Yup - LT1's are internally balanced. My flywheel is zero balanced and a centerforce steel flywheel. PM me some specs on the setup you have an any pics if possible.
LT1's are internally balanced in the front and externally in the rear. I'll have to dig up some pics. I find it weird you living in Houston and cannot find someone to balance your PP and flywheel together?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
LT1's are internally balanced in the front and externally in the rear. I'll have to dig up some pics. I find it weird you living in Houston and cannot find someone to balance your PP and flywheel together?
Thanks, most shops will balance the flywheel, but not both the FW and PP together.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Village Troll

Thanks, most shops will balance the flywheel, but not both the FW and PP together.
I have never heard of such a thing. Weird. Shop I use says that is the ONLY way to properly balance a clutch/flywheel assy.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I've been toying with the idea of having the flywheel resurfaced and having it balanced with the pp bolted on. However, it's hard to find someone locally that will balance them together. I know I probably just have it bolted on wrong/out of balanace, but there is no way to tell for sure as there is no markings except on the PP (centerforce's yellow dot) and I can go with new setup or stick with this one. Also, do you know how many times you can have a flywheel resurfaced? I've had mine done once already.
1. confirm if you have a 'internal" vs "external" balanced 383 (most are internal) and stock are external.

2. if internal balance than the FW needs to be zero aka "neutral" balanced. BUT first confirm from whoever built your motor if it is internal balance.

3. if for some reason you do have a external balanced 383 than the FW needs to have the weight on the back and you line up your CF paint dab on PP to the dowel pin hole location on the crank/FW

4. you typically can have a FW resurfaced 3 times...assumeing they only take off .005-.008 each time

5. find a machine shop who can resurface, balance FW then FW with PP. Very common procedure for a qualified automotive machine shop
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Going to pull the flywheel and Clutch *** this weekend. I'll take it to a shop (still looking for one) and have the balance checked. I'm pretty sure I have an internal balance now and the fw is Neutrally balanced, but it will be real easy for the shop to figure that one out quick. I'll have both checked together and have them tell me if I can have it resurfaced again as I have some hot spots that concern me. If all else fails I'll replace the flywheel as the clutch and disc acually look pretty good.

Quick Reply: Clutch and Fly Wheel Reccs?