LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

emission or not headers

Old 12-21-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default emission or not headers

if i go with emission headers will i lose anything over going with non emission headers? and if i do what else should i get to make sure no check engine light comes on? and what are the chances i wont pass emission test?
Old 12-31-2006, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

the AIR system wont have an effect on the sniffer, but the EGR will. You will also have a harder time passing visual.

If you dont know of any "friendly inspection guys" in your area then might as well keep it legal
Old 12-31-2006, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the non-emissions ones, but I have the Car able to run with no EGR (Cam). I prefer them, less stuff in the Engine bay. Depends on your location, Cali your screwed..
Old 01-03-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will be emissions illegal - that is the biggest thing you will change about the car.

AIR is only to help heat up the cats from a cold start. Removing might turn on the SES light and thats about it. Disconnecting the EGR shouldn't affect how it runs much at all and like stated above isn't working durint WOT anyways. Unplugging it from the harness will turn on the SES light but have no real effect, just the light. Make sure you cap any vacuum lines that you remove from it or you will have issues. (no-brainer, just thought I'd mention it).

I'm sure you can get a cam grind that handles EGR on its own if your worried and you could easily tune out the codes and maybe tune it to run lean just to pass an emissions sniffer test... I mean, if your into tuning or know someone that can hook you up. Overall, you'd probably fail on a visual if the person inspecting has any clue at what he's looking at/for and isn't, "friendly", as mentioned above.

Are you keep catalytic converters?

Last edited by hyperzone; 01-03-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Search this Thread