LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 into a lt4

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 into a lt4

A guy I know has a 93 forumla and just put lt4 heads, lt4 hot cam and 1.6 rr on it and now has hardly any oil to the top half of the motor. I am an ls1 guy so I dont know too much about these any suggestions????
Old 12-22-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue-ss-camaro
A guy I know has a 93 forumla and just put lt4 heads, lt4 hot cam and 1.6 rr on it and now has hardly any oil to the top half of the motor. I am an ls1 guy so I dont know too much about these any suggestions????
Stock oil pump?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:46 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Big Show
Stock oil pump?
Bobby...you do not reply to pm's? Sorry thread hyjack finished!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Stock pump is fine people are WAY too quick to screw things up by "upgrading" it.

The topend really does not get or need a lot of oil, are you comparing it's current level of oiling to this same motor before the heads/cam swap or to another motor?

Frankly his parts selection screams of ignorance, and I think in that is where you will find the problem or perceived problem.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

I believe it is the stock oil pump and the car has like 60lbs f pressure then as it runs it drops to 30 or so. and the car just runs like crap not to mention the lack of oil. I am comparing it to the same motor before heads and cam swap.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Stock pump is fine people are WAY too quick to screw things up by "upgrading" it.

The topend really does not get or need a lot of oil, are you comparing it's current level of oiling to this same motor before the heads/cam swap or to another motor?

Frankly his parts selection screams of ignorance, and I think in that is where you will find the problem or perceived problem.
I wasn't referring to an aftermarket pump, but the pump that came with the car since he said it's a 93 could be full of mileage.

Why does he selection scream of ignorance? The lil' LT4 package was and has been a proven performer forever for people who don't want/need more.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Bobby...you do not reply to pm's? Sorry thread hyjack finished!
Did you send me one? I will go check...

Originally Posted by blue-ss-camaro
believe it is the stock oil pump and the car has like 60lbs f pressure then as it runs it drops to 30 or so. and the car just runs like crap not to mention the lack of oil. I am comparing it to the same motor before heads and cam swap.
The pressure sounds fine and is normal for LT1. Has the car been tuned? Although people run with the stock programming after the swap, there's alot left on the table as far as driveability and max hp.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oil pumps being the best lubed part of an engine do not particularly wear hence my lack of concern over milage. The pressure indicates good bearings which are almost always the cause of low pressure on those occassions when that does happen.

Far as the LT4 stuff, it cost too much AND delivers too little, ignorance leads to that choice more than any other factor.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

signs of motor getting tired
Old 12-22-2006, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

thanks gus but this dosent help me on the motor not getting any oil to the top. He says that there is hardly any up there not to mention the car not running right .