LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

superflow number to dynjet numbers???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default superflow number to dynjet numbers???

just curious as to what kind of correction factor there is to go from a superflow dyno number to a dynojet number?

I dynoed my car with an a4 on a dynojet and made 349hp/363tq. I re-dynoed my car on a superflow dyno; with the 6spd, comp 503 (instead of 501) EWP, and double roller chain, it made 382hp/380tq.

I would have imagined swapping form the a4 to the 6spd ALONE would have gave me a majority of the gains that I got... and the car CLEARLY has more power now than before..

are superflow numbers different than dynojet numbers? something in-between a mustang dyno and a dynojet perhaps? I heard 7%, but I don't know how reliable that source is.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:51 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
just curious as to what kind of correction factor there is to go from a superflow dyno number to a dynojet number?

I dynoed my car with an a4 on a dynojet and made 349hp/363tq. I re-dynoed my car on a superflow dyno; with the 6spd, comp 503 (instead of 501) EWP, and double roller chain, it made 382hp/380tq.

I would have imagined swapping form the a4 to the 6spd ALONE would have gave me a majority of the gains that I got... and the car CLEARLY has more power now than before..

are superflow numbers different than dynojet numbers? something in-between a mustang dyno and a dynojet perhaps? I heard 7%, but I don't know how reliable that source is.

No such thing. These things are only good for comparing changes to a given vehicle on a given day. Dynos of the same brand in different locations often give different numbers for the same vehicle. The weather stations are not that acurrate, and the weather correction factors (SAE, Std, etc, ) are not that acrurate for a wide range of weather conditions, elevations, etc.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
No such thing. These things are only good for comparing changes to a given vehicle on a given day. Dynos of the same brand in different locations often give different numbers for the same vehicle. The weather stations are not that acurrate, and the weather correction factors (SAE, Std, etc, ) are not that acrurate for a wide range of weather conditions, elevations, etc.

thank you for setting me straight... now, a buddy of mine who's on his high horse right now dynoed 45xrwhp in his ls1 car is all excited that it REALLY made 48xrwhp "dynojet corrected".... man I can't wait to bust his ***** on this one!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:03 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The "internet story" is that Mustang dynos always give lower numbers than Dynojet, but I have a customer that always gains 10 to 15 on his local Mustang dyno after his stuff leaves my place. I have a Dynojet. If I were going to buy a dyno now, it would be a Superflow. They only built engine dynos when I bought mine or I would have bought one then. I tuned for too many shops with Mustang dynos that were having dyno problems at that time, so I knew I didn't need that. I don't hear of many problems with them now. That was about ten years ago. Trying to compare dyno numbers from different dynos in different parts of the country, you may as well be playing with yourself. About as productive.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive used Super flow and Dynojet, I have seen maybe 1 hp difference, same mods, different day. I have seen Mustang dyno's be lower compared to the other 2 but it is to my knowledge that you have to input for alot of thing when dynoing. I could be wrong but that seems to me the reason why there is a variation.

In your case, you totally changed the setup, so who knows what diff in the #'s becuase in this equation your car's mods is the dependent factor.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:10 AM
10 Second Moderator

Dont get cought up by the dyno dragon, just take good notes at the track and study and use your time slips to get a real world idea of gains made.

Quick Reply: superflow number to dynjet numbers???