LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

engine building questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine building questions...

I have plans on building a shortblock (355) here in the near future, and wonder what GENERAL parts would make for a well rounded N/A or small shot (150hp MAX) nitrous motor. here goes:

is it worth it to go with a splayed 4-bolt setup (not for the money, just in general) if so, what brand caps are the best, eagle? what?

I've made my mind up about using a 6" eagle H-beam rod, along with a set of JE flat-top pistons. I know the discussion of 5.7" vs 6.0" rods has been beaten to death, but it just seems like a better idea in my book (rods are the same price, and pistons aren't far off either)

how good are the stock crankshafts? I heard 550N/A and keep the RPM low.. these stock units are nodular, correct? I SERIOUSLY doubt I'll be near either limit with a stock crank, so a forged eagle crank is probably not worth the extra cash, I assume?

coatings: a friend of mine seems to think coating the rods, counterweights of the crank and underside of the pistons with some teflon coating- to "shed" oil is beneficial somehow- any truth to it?

are total seal's gapless rings worth anything on a mild street motor?

a set of ported stock heads and my existing comp 503 cam will be used, along with a vic. jr. single plane; would there be cost-effective benefit to installing a set 2.02 intake and 1.6" exhaust valves in the heads? I know there MIGHT be a gain, but is it worth the money?

I don't really plan on building any more power than I already have, just want it freshened up, and to see if a little odds and ends could net any more power.

thanks,
rob
Old 12-25-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A well built 355 will make around 400+ rwhp add 150 and you will be past the stock limit. I am building a 355 to just had a few threads about it still floating around on the first page but if you are going to spray go forged crank.

Quick Reply: engine building questions...