LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help/info asap

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help/info asap

I developed a ticking noise last friday just before we did a 1200 mile round trip to Alabama.
I was pretty sure it was a lifter going bad, at first start-up it was noisy (hot or cold engine), but quietened down once it ran a few minutes. My problem now is, I just ripped all the intake and valve covers off, but I can't find any of the lifters that look bad?.

How do I tell which one is going bad?, I can't really afford to replace all of them.

Also, how do I disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel rails?, I finished up having to disconnect the fuel rail from the intake and then slide the intake out from under the rail, but the fuel rail is in the way and is going to be a pain when I put the intake back on.

Also, if I block off the EGR without programming it out, will the car run ok?. I have Tunercat, but this is my daily driver and I need it back on the road by the end of the weekend, I can reprogram the PCM next week.

Someone please help, I need the car back up and running quick!! Forgot to add, this is a '94 LT1 Firebird, totally stock.
Sara Lou
Old 12-29-2006, 02:50 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the fuel lines you can go to your local parts store and just ask for 'fuel line quick disconnects'.

Once you have those you just slip it under were the line and lines from the intake meet and it pops apart.

Good Luck.

Tony.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Tony for the quick reply, do you mean disconnect them at the fuel rail, or somewhere around the shreader(sp) valve?

Sara Lou
Old 12-29-2006, 03:47 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a pic of the disconnects and were on the fuel line you will use them.

Just slide them up the hard line and put the disconnect under the soft line, a little pressure and they should just pop apart.

Tony.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zralou
I developed a ticking noise last friday just before we did a 1200 mile round trip to Alabama.
I was pretty sure it was a lifter going bad, at first start-up it was noisy (hot or cold engine), but quietened down once it ran a few minutes. My problem now is, I just ripped all the intake and valve covers off, but I can't find any of the lifters that look bad?.

How do I tell which one is going bad?, I can't really afford to replace all of them.

Also, how do I disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel rails?, I finished up having to disconnect the fuel rail from the intake and then slide the intake out from under the rail, but the fuel rail is in the way and is going to be a pain when I put the intake back on.

Also, if I block off the EGR without programming it out, will the car run ok?. I have Tunercat, but this is my daily driver and I need it back on the road by the end of the weekend, I can reprogram the PCM next week.

Someone please help, I need the car back up and running quick!! Forgot to add, this is a '94 LT1 Firebird, totally stock.
Sara Lou
I've got a couple sets of extremely low mile stock lifters. If you want a set just pm me and lemme know. Just pay shipping and you can have them.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

PM'd ya

Sara Lou

Quick Reply: Need help/info asap