LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What 02 sensors do I need???

Old 12-31-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 02 sensors do I need???

I have a 97 car. I'm going to have my new headers/y-pipe installed next year and need to know what 02's I need.

SLP 96-97 dual-cat mid-length headers.
RandomTech dual-cat bolt-in replacement y-pipe.

So pretty much the headers and y-pipe are direct replacements for the factory stuff.

Also, what bolts do I need for the collectors? And where to get them?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chaotic Firebird
I have a 97 car. I'm going to have my new headers/y-pipe installed next year and need to know what 02's I need.

SLP 96-97 dual-cat mid-length headers.
RandomTech dual-cat bolt-in replacement y-pipe.

So pretty much the headers and y-pipe are direct replacements for the factory stuff.

Also, what bolts do I need for the collectors? And where to get them?
Are the headers ceramic coated?

If they are -- its usually suggested to let the ceramic coating on the inside "burn off" and cure for a couple hundred miles before you throw new O2s on the car. O2s aren't cheap, so I'd wait.

As far as what O2s to use -- best solution is factory replacement AC Delcos. People have tried the bosch O2s in the past from a local DAP, and local switched to the Delcos. Turns out the Bosch O2s don't send readings fast enough and it effects driveability in closed loop.

Currently I'm running NGK O2s (purchased from Summit) because they are advertised for being more resistant to fouling from lead exposure. I run race gas semi-frequently and I actually fouled my old set running it. I've been running the NGKs for quite a while now (8 months) and I haven't had any issues with them at all.

Last edited by WhyHelloOfficer; 12-31-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, they are stainless ceramic coated. Will I need any extensions like the longtube guys do?

Search this Thread