LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cam swap: rockers and timing set ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cam swap: rockers and timing set ?'s

Ok, basically Ive been planning on a 224/230 Cam for a while now, but my budget is really limited

Basically im trying to cut somethings out of the picture to save some $. In the long run I want an e-water pump and 1.6 roller rockers, but those are big expenses. The timing set is also pretty expensive.

Question is: Would it be a good idea or not to do a 224/230 cam, just use a stock replacement timing chain for now, and the stock 1.5 roller rockers? Later on when i get the money id get an electric water pump, chloyes timing set to match and 1.6 rockers. This way all i would need for the initial install are gaskets, cam, springs (beehives), retainers, locks, seats, and a new timing chain.

Is this a good idea or should i wait another season and do it all at once... i want the cam really bad. I want to do this swap before I turn 100k miles (at 90 now). any input is appreciated
Old 01-01-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would honestly wait and do it right the first time. I waited a year to do my cam swap. I just got finished with it this past week. Its tempting, but im glad i waited until i had everything.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Z93
Teching In

I would try to change the cam and timing chain at the same time.The water pump and rocker arms you could do when you have extra money.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z93
I would try to change the cam and timing chain at the same time.The water pump and rocker arms you could do when you have extra money.
I would be changing the timing chain, but just a stock replacement. Id do the chloyes when i change to the e-water pump obviously because they are designed for each other.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

My Vote: Wait. Do it once do it right. You're not going to get the full gains out of the cam you're running with the factory stamped 1.5 rockers.

There is an old saying:
"Cheap. Fast. Reliable. Pick Two"
Old 01-01-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
My Vote: Wait. Do it once do it right. You're not going to get the full gains out of the cam you're running with the factory stamped 1.5 rockers.

There is an old saying:
"Cheap. Fast. Reliable. Pick Two"
that sounds like my own advice right there... gah i hate these situations
Old 01-01-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea man, i waited well over 6 months before tearing into mine and i did a total rebuild and the only real performance upgrade is the camshaft and supporting mods. You should set aside about $1500+ to really do it right the first time, and that is going through the entire engine and changing everything, but thats not the price for a rebuild. Good luck on your swap
Old 01-01-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have no where close to $1500 but youre definitely right about that.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Veteran

just get the basic things. timing set, springs, rockers, and the cam.

do it yourself to save you ALOT of money. itll cost about $600 at the most to do the cam.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

I'd wait on the cam. Go ahead and knock out the water pump if you want.. I don't trust stock ones, especially since I went through 2 in a month. lol. I still have my cam sitting in a box in my garage. When I got back from my deployment, I did rockers/springs/retainers/pushrods/lifters/etc, and never got around to the cam. Now I just did head gaskets, thanks to the stock water pump, and finally installed my electric water pump. Wish I would have done cam and chain at the same time, but oh well. Didn't have the money for a tune anyway. Maybe this spring, I'll finally get around to it, after I figure out my coolant leak. Can't believe how fast I spend money on this car.