LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Do You Peepz Remember...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do You Peepz Remember...

...the guy who put a standard distributor on an LT1 with the stock computer? I tried a search but it's not working. I know it was a while back...
Old 01-03-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember reading that thread but no idea on any names sorry.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt197formula
I remember reading that thread but no idea on any names sorry.
Yeah, i cant' remember any names either. I'm still searching...
Old 01-03-2007, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

a buddy of mine (bluecat) has done this on a '93 LT1 transplanted into a '91 c-1500 truck.
the setup would have worked, hands down. but: the computer was junk to begin with, and the owner of the truck though the opt-spark had went bad, so he was just going to drop in an MSD distributor (cut the hole in the back, had it welded up, etc...) seeing as a '93 computer is rather expensive to replace, and he's currently undergoing a twin turbo setup on the truck, he just opted to go with a megasquirt 2...

bluecat had no doubt that the truck would have ran just fine with the distributor and stock lt1 computer, but he didn't have an extra computer to find out.

we're going to attempt this on my car with the single plane here soon, although I'll be running both the opti and the distributor (opti for a "crank trigger" the dist. to run the plug wires off of) eventually it will happen, one way or another.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy in this thread let on that he was using an HEI Gen I distributor with a 93' PCM...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...5&page=2&pp=20

I'd call these guys and see if they can explain in better detail:

www.lt1intake.com

Apparently, it's possible to "trick" the PCM into ignoring the high res pulse signal (360 pulses per rpm) that it would only normally be able to receive from an Optispark and just run off the low res pulses (8 per rpm) that it can get from a TPI type distributor. What I'm not 100% sure about though is if this capability is only limited to 93' model year PCM's or if it can be done on other years as well.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
The guy in this thread let on that he was using an HEI Gen I distributor with a 93' PCM...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...5&page=2&pp=20

I'd call these guys and see if they can explain in better detail:

www.lt1intake.com

Apparently, it's possible to "trick" the PCM into ignoring the high res pulse signal (360 pulses per rpm) that it would only normally be able to receive from an Optispark and just run off the low res pulses (8 per rpm) that it can get from a TPI type distributor. What I'm not 100% sure about though is if this capability is only limited to 93' model year PCM's or if it can be done on other years as well.
"Tricking" the computer part is where I'm still left pondering. I don't see how that rear distributor is going to fire if there is nothing telling it to.

Quick Reply: Do You Peepz Remember...