LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Destroyed it

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Destroyed it

Yep, garage got into the clutch further today. I thought I got lucky and only messed up the throwout bearing.

Well the clutch disc is shot and the flywheel is compeltely burnt looking.

So the Hays street/strip clutch will be going in, and so will the SLP billet flywheel ordered today.

So yeah I destroyed a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in less than 30k miles, with nothing more than bolt ons, and in the last month 4.10 gears.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done that one twice when I was drivin my LT1
Old 01-04-2007, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Yep, garage got into the clutch further today. I thought I got lucky and only messed up the throwout bearing.

Well the clutch disc is shot and the flywheel is compeltely burnt looking.

So the Hays street/strip clutch will be going in, and so will the SLP billet flywheel ordered today.

So yeah I destroyed a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in less than 30k miles, with nothing more than bolt ons, and in the last month 4.10 gears.
WOW! doesn't say much for Centerforce I guess, but then again I'll just assume you can drive (you know what I mean...like drive it right, launching, etc). Dollar for Dollar I really like the McLeod Twin Disc, hasn't slipped a bit and is a street driven & track car. Have not heard much about Haye's, pretty good clutch from what you've heard?
Old 01-04-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard and seen Centerforce not last that long. Also consider its not a cheap clutch.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

My day to day driving isn't very abusive at all, I take it high in the revs, but I don't shift like I'm racing all the time. The car has never been to a dragstrip.
I launch it fairly easy on the street as it has never had DR's on it either, so I can't even launch hard or I just spin my street tires.

I keep hearing great things about the McLeod twin disk. My Dad was buying the parts to fix my car as I'm not finacially doing well though, so that was out of the question.

Mostly got the Hays due to price, but its supposed to hold 60% more power than a stock clutch. Also didn't want to try my luck with the Centerforce again.

I would have tried out a spec 3 or 3+, but at the time we ordered the clutch from summit we weren't sure if we were going to need it or not, but we wanted it to get here fast and easy to return if need be.
I looked up spec clutches, but thunder racing has a way harder return policy than Summit,and not sure on their shipping times.

So the Hays clutch it is, I have it here already, and I overnighted the SLP flywheel, should be here tommarow. My brother has to get back to school in FL by the 9th, so I'd like to leave PA any day now.

Yes I am disappointed that the $500+ clutch is toast already. When you read the description, I don't feel like I had got what was described.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

That sucks man, sure seems the way you drive & take care of your car that clutch would have held up.

Tell you what though when I decided to finally rebuild my heap, the stroker was almost done and that's all I was going to do...pfftt....yeah right. Well it was recommended I rebuild the tranny...I thought nah, it'll be fine, but I ended up sending it to Joe @T56 Rebuilds who found bad 2nd & 3rd gears, so I had him bullet proof it, so then it was recommended I replace my hyd slave with a new one...bah humbug I thought...so when I was painting the engine bay it snagged on my ear drawing blood and in my tourette fitted rampage it fell into a million pieces and was rusted through most of the parts....ok...so then I thought what the hell might as well price a good clutch to hold some good power, shop happened to have a brand new McLeod TD in stock that someone didn't want so I got it a couple hundred bucks cheaper, traded McLeod direct the billet alum flywheel for a billet steel one and been in luck since then.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, got a good deal then. I'll keep my eyes open for a twin disk down the road if I ever get to build anything nice for the car.

Also replaced the master/slave cylinder here, that was the first thing I tried to fix my clutch issue.
So everything clutch related will be new, scary pricetag on this fix, but at least its all new and should last a long time I hope.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

speaking of clutches anyone ever go with a zoom stage 3?...i did before asking people experience with them
Old 01-04-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

-The centerforce are well known for problem with durability and not only for f-body but with the majority of the cars.

-The zoom clucth are good replacement but chatters a lot and you got better choices for the same price.

-Spec its always a it or missed,you could be really happy with it for a long time or the spring hub can let you down quickly(really cheap spring hub)

-Never heard of hayes...

In my taste if you wanna go single disc got with either a Mcleod single disc setup or Ram for your hp. A RAM HDX is around 350$ and can handle around 400ish hp.

And the best of the best is the Mcleod street twin but really expensive.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Ram powergrip HD here. When i was bolt ons i had a powergrip and it held great for a long time untill it met Mr. 9" and someone by the name of M/T
Old 01-04-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wish I had the money for a mcleod.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by grifter757
Wish I had the money for a mcleod.
I've heard nothing good about them, if you've got 1200 to throw down then by all means.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

are the mcleod clutches good for smooth engagement - normal around town crusing? Or do they want to grab hard and go? I recently put a spec clutch in and its damn near impossible to drive smooth when I'm trying to just creep around a parking lot or in stop & go rush hour, or just drive smoothly from a stop. It will make the car shudder almost if I try and engage it smoothly..
Old 01-04-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hyperzone
are the mcleod clutches good for smooth engagement - normal around town crusing? Or do they want to grab hard and go? I recently put a spec clutch in and its damn near impossible to drive smooth when I'm trying to just creep around a parking lot or in stop & go rush hour, or just drive smoothly from a stop. It will make the car shudder almost if I try and engage it smoothly..
The mcleod drives like a dream. Very smooth.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow, no one on here has ever used a Hays ?
I'm suprised some people have never even heard of them, I knew their name, but that was about it.
Oh well its going in the car, so I guess I will be the first to form a opinion.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is my understanding that there are 2 types of pressure plates used on LT1 clutches. Either LT1 or LT4. (mostly LT4 in most kits. (prongs look thicker) ) It is really just the clutch disk that is different on most of these kits.

You can go to orielly auto and buy their cheapo kit and ditch the disk and then just buy a disk from McLeod or spec or whoever and save some loot.

If you dont believe me look at the cast label on the pressure plates and compare to what just came out of your car.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hyperzone

What kind of gears are you running? Im running 4:10 and mine gives no problems. It is a stage 2 however.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes, I read that also, and yeah all the pressure plates read Valeo on them.
I just wonder if the $200 clutch kit uses the LT1 pressure plate though.
I'm sure you can order the LT4 plate seprate probably though, I think there is more to the McLeod twin disk though, something has to be way different, it costs more than double of the other clutches.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Never mind, they come with a flywheel and replacement mastercylinder, well there is the extra costs.... So if you could order the McLeod clutch disk, I guess you would have it made.

Hey, down the road is the billet steel SLP flywheel rebuildable?? I was in NAPA yesterday, and they have replacement Zoom inserts for Zoom flywheels, just wondering about the SLP.

Quick Reply: Destroyed it