LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Guru's, take a peak

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Guru's, take a peak

Im not sure if this is my Opti or not, since in most cases i have read the car wont even run.

A few days ago, drove to work, when i got off, i noticed immediately that the car was missing. On how many cyl, i dont know, but it was still driveable. I figured it is my opti, so i already have one lined up to order if need be.

Is there anything i should take a look at to MAKE POSITIVE that it is my opti. I have a MSD 6AL box running what seems to be a stock coil (i've only had the car for about 2 months). The plug wires seem to be in good condition, as does the coil wire. The only thing i can think of would be the plugs or the opti. The plugs could be because i know that the car runs pretty rich on the tune it has. But it doesnt seem like it would have happened so suddenly.

The opti is the one it came with out of the factory. My car is a 1994 and has 65k miles on it.

Symptoms:
-Miss firing. Dont know how many cylinders, sometimes it seems like it gets better, so i think sometimes its missing on more/less.
-Back firing. When i let off of the gas (as in to shift or slow down), you can hear it pop.
-Chugging. Sometimes while im crusing, it starts chugging or something like it is running out of gas.

Any help would be gladly appreciated...
Old 01-08-2007, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Sounds similar to what mine was doing when it died.. mine eventually got to the point where it wouldn't start (took lots of tried), and other times I would be driving down the road, and it would just die. Started right back up, without even touching the key. Mine was the opti.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a problem a long time ago that seems similar. Does it ever back fire or pop from the CAI? Mine would chug sometimes taking off, but mostly when it stayed in overdrive at a low speed going up a hill. However, I never found out the problem. Now I have a brand new MSD Pro Billet Optispark sitting in my room cause it magically fixed itself after I bought it
Old 01-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Teching In

sounds like it pops out my exhaust actually....
Old 01-08-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 600 mile GM opti with msd cap/rotor

popped out the exhaust 2 days later.. stalled in drivethrough of taco bell.. stalled in revesre and would pick back up... threw a low res code (doesnt THROW SES) u gotta just check the computer.. got real hard to start
Old 01-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Teching In

no bueno
Old 01-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Teching In

someone is telling me that they think its just the plugs/wires... anybody confirm this?
Old 01-15-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's possible. It can be anything, but I think it's electrical related. If you have access to a KV tester, that will tell you individually which plug or wires are not good.

Or take out the plugs and see what they look like.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Mine is/was doing something like this. My car at take off wouldnt go anywhere and I was giving it around half throttle then all the sudden the rpms jump up. Also bottom end and up high the car blew had NO power what so ever, it couldnt even turn over the tires. I just finished installing new o2 sensors and that fixed the problem alot but I still has a miss in the higher rpm. Also it takes alittle more gas to get the tires to turn over now. Iam still trying to figure out what it is tomorrow Iam hooking it up to a scan tool and seeing what codes it displays.
-If I where you I would take it down to your local autoparts stores and check the simple easy stuff first before installing a new opti.
-Brandon