LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Z06 maf

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 maf

what exactly is the advantage of switching to the Z06 maf? will it be better for tuning or just the same? is it just the size that makes the difference or what. just looking for info for now.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by borninatransam
what exactly is the advantage of switching to the Z06 maf? will it be better for tuning or just the same? is it just the size that makes the difference or what. just looking for info for now.

You will have to get the Maf, jumper harness, and change the Maf tables in the tune to reflect the Z06 Maff. I had one a few years ago...did not gain much over the stock one.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It reads at a higher resolution but is capable of a wider range of frequency than the LT1 pcm so it poses some issues once you make enough power to actually benifit from it. Can be tuned it is just more work pas that point.

Our pcm can not understand it beyond 360gps of airflow to put that into perspective my car exceeds that number and I run a stock shortblock yet.

Once I learn more in tuning I MIGHT try this again(tried when they first came out and gave up) the increased resolution down low should mean a slight improvement in response and drivability, maybe even economy but once you get past 360gps you have to tune it like speed density, completely doable but more work.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:12 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Our pcm can not understand it beyond 360gps of airflow to put that into perspective my car exceeds that number and I run a stock shortblock yet.

They can if you know how to do it.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay i guess i should clarify is it going to make a difference running it on a 500 rwhp car with a 150 shot?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Oh really, you have my interest.

What is the max you can get it to understand??

Any corrections on my other statements far as potential for better drivability and such?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Z06 Maf

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Exactly!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:54 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Exactly!
Mr. Moe Bailey! One of the tuning kings! Glad to see ya on the site!
Old 01-13-2007, 06:05 PM
9-Second Club

Oh really, you have my interest.

What is the max you can get it to understand??

Any corrections on my other statements far as potential for better drivability and such?
512 grams is the most it can "understand". If you know how to do that, you don't turn off the high MAF codes on blown or turbo LT1s.

Was yours setting the MAF code, or injector pulse width cutting back to 15 mili/sec?

To answer the other gentleman: When mine was making 460, and up until 500 rwhp the 85mm "Z06" MAF was worth almost 5 rwhp over a stock 3 1/2" unit with the screen removed. I have been running mine Speed Density for over 2 years now, and after 500 rwhp that was worth about 4 more rwhp. Last pull with mine a few weeks ago (after new rings and springs) mine made 532 through the mufflers.

Take care, Ed
Old 01-13-2007, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

I tried the ZO6 MAF early on with the L99 so it was only moving like 220gps max as seen on the stock MAF which I though was bad hence the ZO6 attempt at replacing it. One of my early mistakes when I kept throwing parts at the car instead of real diagnosis. The MAF was not the problem and BH could not get the ZO6 MAF tuned right at that time(years ago), had black smoke out the tailpipe under throttle, milage was crap.
Sounds like I might be able to gain a few hp with one, not enough to make it worthwhile from that perspective, but can I get you to comment on any potential drivability gains from the higher resolution??? If I can get 3rwhp and some drivability gains I might just try it again.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:39 PM
9-Second Club

I tried the ZO6 MAF early on with the L99 so it was only moving like 220gps max as seen on the stock MAF which I though was bad hence the ZO6 attempt at replacing it. One of my early mistakes when I kept throwing parts at the car instead of real diagnosis. The MAF was not the problem and BH could not get the ZO6 MAF tuned right at that time(years ago), had black smoke out the tailpipe under throttle, milage was crap.
Sounds like I might be able to gain a few hp with one, not enough to make it worthwhile from that perspective, but can I get you to comment on any potential drivability gains from the higher resolution??? If I can get 3rwhp and some drivability gains I might just try it again.
I drove mine on the street a lot back when I developed the 85mm MAF tables, and didn't really notice any change in drivability over a stock unit. Mine was a 355" with CNC LT4 heads, intake (same ones on my 383" now) 30lb SVO injectors, and small (221-226) cam. Worked on the fuel trims everyday, logging drive time to & from work with my Tech2. Got the fuel trims & WOT fueling back to where they were with the original MAF. Only gain I saw was about 3 1/2 rwhp. The 383" made about 5 more with the bigger MAF. When I test something that small, I do A-B-A tests, averaging 2 dyno pulls with one part, 4 with the other part, and 2 more with the first one. If you just make a pull or 2 one way, change it and call what you see different the result, you don't REALLY know. Too many things can cause one to not repeat dead-on. With no changes. Most cars will vary a couple rwhp if you make enough pulls with no changes. Temps are very critical, air, coolant, engine oil, and ATF.

Quick Reply: Z06 maf