LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help with engine leaks and headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with engine leaks and headers

I recently bought my 93 Firebird Formula, when i got it in the late summer i didnt bother to check the heat but later on i found out it wasnt working. When i took it to the shop to find out whats wrong i found out it was the thermostat, which i later replaced to fix the heat problem. But at that time i found out i have a leak from the intake manifold gasket and distributor seal. Ive been quoted $600 up to $1200 to fix them, im debating on trying to do it myself or just putting it in the shop. Has anyone done either before, is it difficult? I also have new plugs and wires i plan on changing when i put on new headers. Would changing headers and plugs be easy or should i just have it all done in the shop? Suggestions on a good set of headers would be appreciated too, thanks -Tom
Old 01-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Do yourself a favor....Go to an auto parts store (advance, auto zone) and buy a "Haynes" manual for a 93 up Camaro/Firebird, and check it out for yourself. I myself wouldn't consider it a hard job b/c I've worked on LT1's until I was blue in the face....But some people would just rather save themselves the head ache and have someone else do it for them....Just all depends on what you wanna get yourself into.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Teching In

From what ive read online it seems like it'd be a pain. I guess putting it in the shop would be my best bet. Its a shame a few gaskets cost so much to fix....As for the headers, i want to be able to reach the plugs easier and want emissions legal, what would be the best way to go?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Launching!

You can buy emissions legal headers. Buy long tubes with a y-pipe that has cats. You should be alright enough to pass an emissions test if thats what your worried about. I don't know 100% if it would pass, b/c we do not have them in KY, but I'm sure you could ask around on here and see.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks i appreciate your help, i hear good things about long tubes. Another thing i was thinking about is in the near future i want a higher horsepower car...what would be the best way to go for a daily driver? Bolt ons and nitrous? Ive been looking at that STS turbo kit too, i like how it replaces the exhaust and intake, so id save money there...whats a good way to go. Or any other suggestions
Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Launching!

My car was pretty quick with just a hotcam and bolt-ons. A hotcam is pretty mild and has really good DD manners. I ran 8.0's in the 1/8th with long tubes/hot cam/ cold air/ stall/ and a good tune....With some other small misc. bolt-on items, but for the bulk of them is what I listed.

A turbo or super charger would be cool, but you wouldn't be able to run alot of boost on a stock LT1 bottom end with the higher compression ratio. It just wouldn't mix...But I'm sure people have done it without problems, but it'd be safer to have some engine work done prior to adding any kind of forced induction.

On a side note: Nitrous does make a good bolt-on.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can fix that, I did fix the leak in my 1994 trans am. Me and a friend did it a while back, also did the throttle body bypass while we were at it and spark plugs at the same time.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Teching In

About how long did the leak repair take? Any suggestions or tips to make it easier?...And finally got the money together for some mods, bolt-ons and nitrous seems like a safer way to go, but i could probably get more power out of the STS turbo, i wanna figure it out before i start doing anything so i dont waste money on intake and exhaust that id just end up removing for the turbo kit later on anyway.

Quick Reply: help with engine leaks and headers