LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Problems or No Problems Major Modifiers Speak Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems or No Problems Major Modifiers Speak Up

So I get on here pretty often and just read a lot of posts just to gain knowledge about what I am doing in my own project. In most cases if I am going to run into a problem someone has already beat me to it at least once. What has me worried is that mrore times then not when I get on here there are a lot of people with problems. Most lkely because no one is going to make a post that says, "Hey, FYI my car runs great". So as I am finishing up my rebuild, with 847 cam, 30# injectors, port and polish, pistons, custom pcm tuning, you get the point.....I am worried that my new opti is going to take a big crap, and the car is going to run lke like *** with more problems then I have time to solve. So those who have done some serious work what kind of results have you had with the LT1s. Are these engine as fickle as this board makes them out to be, or is this a great engine and we are just reading only about its problems. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Teching In

No reponse????
Old 01-22-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your just reading about the problems... Do a search on all the LSx pages and you'll see similar.

FWIW, Im currently running an opti that was on my old motor for about a year, its been on the new motor since install without a hitch.

The only problems I had were directly related to custom, one-off stuff I did to this motor, particularly the fuel rails and the modified timing cover. The fuel rails were modded heavily, and leaked at first. The timing cover was modified to accept a BBC crank seal, as my balancer hub has the BBC o.d. When doing break-in, I had that seal walk out of the cover and my car got an oil bath on her bottom side.

Other than that the car ran great, untill I took it off the road for more mods. It'll be runnin again by the end of the month, towards the beginning of next month.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Launching!

I didnt run into any problems that were unusual to any other car on the planet... waterpumps, alts, tranny, 10 bolt, and things like that... I had a 383 w/ and eagle competition rotating assembly a cc306 cam, untouched heads, untouched intake and a kit and went mid 10s... so I would say that if you do your research the LT1 will hold its on with most anything As was said before, everything breaks, but its no more common on LT1s than anything else.