LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PCV valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV valve

I am currently building a 34 Ford fitted with a 96 LT1.
The engine was purchased less all vacuum hoses & wiring so I am trying to piece it together.
I purchased a pair of aluminium valve covers from Street & Performance , but they do not have a cut out for a PCV valve , where the original covers did.
I contacted S&P they told me that I should run the PCV valve into manifold?
If I run it into the manifold where will the line going to the PCV valve come from? , I was also told it comes from the throttle body, but to where I am not sure?
The valve covers do however have a oil cap with a breather.
Do I need to run a PCV valve?
Thankyou looking forward to your help
Norm
Old 01-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Teching In

The PCV valve does not go into the valve cover at all. There is a hole on the drivers side of the intake manifold with a rubber grommet right about in the center. That is where the PCV goes. From there it has a maybe two inch piece of rubber hose connecting it to a steel line that snakes its way to the front of the motor just under the throttle body. You will see a nipple there. You will need about a 4 or 5 inch piece of hose to connect the nipple to the steel line then you're done.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

the hole originally in the valve cover goes to the right side(sitting in the car) of the TB, just block off the nipple on the side of the TB...idk what problems not having the vent on the valve cover may cause but it should all go back through the pcv.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

heres a view of the intake manifold, i highlighted the pcv routing

Old 01-24-2007, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The line that supplies the fresh air to the crankcase runs from the throttle body on the passenger side into the passenger side valve cover. The PCV valve won't do anything if there is no fresh air source that goes into the valve cover.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

i am not a dissagreeing with you, i am learning myself. i thought the pcv vented crankcase pressure created because of blow-by, why would you need fresh air to circulate into the crankcase? i just run a filters on mine and the intake is blocked off because of positive pressures in the intake manifold.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
The line that supplies the fresh air to the crankcase runs from the throttle body on the passenger side into the passenger side valve cover. The PCV valve won't do anything if there is no fresh air source that goes into the valve cover.
From the side of the throttle body TO the pass-side cover??? HUH? That doesn't sound right man..

The intake manifold has one pcv valve in driverside that vents air from the oil valley underneath it back into the intake through a hole under the throttle body and then runs in each runner of the intake (at least on mine). check this thread for photos I took: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=pcv

Then there's the passenger side valve cover that has another pcv valve that vents back to the side of the throttle body to be used/reused. There is intake VACUUM so, I dont not know how you could be pushing air from the TB to the valve cover unless your boosted. Curious, How do FI guys handle that???
Old 01-24-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my PCV valve is on the passenger side from TB to Valve Cover
Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Thankyou for all your replies, even though I am more confused?

My idea of a PCV valve is to remove pressure from the crankcase so you dont have problems with leaking gaskets etc..

All engines have the PCV on the valve cover?

Thanks again
Old 01-25-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by norm671
My idea of a PCV valve is to remove pressure from the crankcase so you dont have problems with leaking gaskets etc..
Correct.

Originally Posted by norm671
All engines have the PCV on the valve cover?
Stock LT1/LT4 engines have the PCV vavle on the passenger side valve cover which leads back to the side of the throttle body. Alot of people will just put a breather in place of it.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gun5
my PCV valve is on the passenger side from TB to Valve Cover
The one on my car is gutted, the only one the dealer carried is the on the drivers side in the intake manifold. The one on the passenger side has no internal s at all. So what is that thing?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

There's no PCV valve on the passenger valve cover. The PCV valve sucks in fresh air through the passenger side vavle cover and sucks out the "dirty" air through the pcv vavle on the drivers side of the intake manifold. It sucks air from the front of the TB where there is no vacume, not on the back. This way it keeps fresh air in the crankcase helping keep the oil clean.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hyperzone

Stock LT1/LT4 engines have the PCV vavle on the passenger side valve cover which leads back to the side of the throttle body. Alot of people will just put a breather in place of it.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

As speed demon has mentioned several times. The PCV valve shoves into a grommet in the intake manifold, then the line off the pcv valve connects to the bottom of the intake manifold at the very front. As CLEARLY SHOWN IN THE DIAGRAM POSTED.

The line coming off the valve cover is clearly crankcase ventilation, which connects to the TB.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What he said ^^^^^...The PCV is in the intake...The line from the passenger side valve cover to the TB is not the PCV and there should not be a PCV valve in there...

--Alan
Old 01-25-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well,... ****. sorry for the mis-info.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 93, I'm pretty sure has no PCV valve in the intake. It's like mentioned above, it goes into the pass-side valve cover.

Even if that is not the PCV, it uses the exact same item.

I've said this before, I worked in a parts store for 3 years. The same exact "PCV" on my old 90 Suburban, is the same exact piece that goes into the pass-side valve cover on my 93 LT1. This is THE only place I've seen where people say that is NOT the PCV.

As far as it "not supposed to be in there". It's factory, so I'll leave it how it is.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just checked a chiltens manual and a helm service manual for the camaro. There's a valve on the intake manifold and in the valve cover. It does say that the one in the valve cover flows both ways. It is intended to let clean air (due to passing through the air filter) enter the crankcase but is also intended to relieve excess pressure from blowby gasses. my apologies for earlier assumptions.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hyperzone
I just checked a chiltens manual and a helm service manual for the camaro. There's a valve on the intake manifold and in the valve cover. It does say that the one in the valve cover flows both ways. It is intended to let clean air (due to passing through the air filter) enter the crankcase but is also intended to relieve excess pressure from blowby gasses. my apologies for earlier assumptions.
There's no valve in the line that goes to the valve cover, its just an open line.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Formula350
My 93, I'm pretty sure has no PCV valve in the intake. It's like mentioned above, it goes into the pass-side valve cover.

Even if that is not the PCV, it uses the exact same item.

I've said this before, I worked in a parts store for 3 years. The same exact "PCV" on my old 90 Suburban, is the same exact piece that goes into the pass-side valve cover on my 93 LT1. This is THE only place I've seen where people say that is NOT the PCV.

As far as it "not supposed to be in there". It's factory, so I'll leave it how it is.
When I first got my car I forgot to get a pcv when I got everything else like oil, filters ,odds and ends (opti was already replaced and tune-up already done)from the dealer. So went to Advance Auto to get one and the one they gave me did'nt fit the valve cover or the intake. The second one did'nt either.Same thing at Autozone.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

my PCV valve is on the drivers side of the manifold, and the hose is U shaped to go onto the fitting to the right of it on the intake manifold.

Last edited by Revelation Z28; 01-25-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: PCV valve