LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift kit

i am thinking of putting a mild shift kit in my 1993 700R4. i was looking at the B and M shift improver kits, they are like 30 bucks, and maybe using the RV/towing option. i dont want it to shift extremely hard, just a little harder to be a little easier on the trans at 6000 rpm shifts, thats y im thinking of opting for the RV package. does anybody know if this is a good option? should i use the street/strip option that comes with the kit instead? thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 07:10 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transgo for the win.

The quality in Transgo is always there and they are an easy install from what ive read. Price isnt bad either.

Good Luck

Tony.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trans go is the best no doubt. But it can be a PITA to do. Hopefully you know how to disassemble the trans the sheet instructions seem vague. I didn't get a video with my order. The 3-4 apply springs installation requires removal of the front pump and a whole lot more. Just plan on at least 3-4 hours of figuring it all out if you've never done one before.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

street/strip. your car isnt an rv/ nor are you towing a boat. b&m makes a good kit as well. either way you go, you will be happy
Old 01-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Launching!

It took me several hours to install the transgo last spring. To make things more difficult, the video didn't match the confusing written instructions. Apparently the video was older and they had changed a few things over the years. It works great though so I think it was worth it.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

I think i have a transgo shift kit in my car (previous owner got it installed at a shop). That thing shifts like a mother! Depending on the cement, i can burn tires into the 50 mph zone! I love it!
Old 01-25-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I was lectured on this issue for the TransGo:
It comes in 2 flavors - the "regular" and the HD2. They are both the same hardware wise; the HD2 does not come with the video so it is cheaper. But as mentioned above, the video does not completely match the current kit.
I have the kit in my car with 2 washers. It is smooth as stock when driving normally, and roasts the tires when under boost. IMO, worth the extra money over the B&M, although it is more work.
I have heard that the reason the B&M is so cheap is because it does very little for you. IMO, do it right the first time and spring for the TransGo.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

ok thanks everybody, im assuming this trans go kit doesnt require pulling the transmission right?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Correct. You do have to pull the pan to get at the valve body, so go ahead and change the filter, gasket and fluid while you are at it.
And use 2 washers. You will understand when you get there, they come in the kit.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

You will have to pull the trans and the front pump to install the 3-4 apply springs. Everything else can be done in the car.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine was done without that step. Too much work. No issues so far.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:46 AM
TECH Resident

ok thanks. im not interested if i got to pull the tranny tho. ive done it a million times but dont have the time nor desire to do it right now, and if i did i would probably go ahead an try to rebuild it altogether. so will there be hard shifting with this transgo kit? cus i dont want it to shift real hard, just a little better
Old 01-26-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

well I rebuilt my tranny and put in the trans go shift kit,
it shifts to hard for me to where it bumps when it shifts from 1-2 & 2-3
2-3 is bumps really hard, I have been playing around with shift pressures and I got it shifting pretty good but i'm at a -40% in 2-3 shift at 0-18 tps
heck even when it down shift from 3-2 you hear a bump.
it shifted great before I put the kit in and the only reason I put it in is because I had my 3-4 cluthes burn alittle and my parts supplier recomend it.
I might go and pull the shift kit out.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Again, my trans was not pulled. I do have the springs mentioned sitting in the box in the closet.
My trans shifts smooth as silk during normal driving. No harshness whatsoever. However, I had it installed by a mechanic who knew what he was doing. I spoke briefly with him about it; apparently the secret is in modifying the valve body. (I have no further info on this part.)
I had mine installed because it slipped while shifting after the installation of the turbo. The main intent of the kit is to decrease this slippage and decrease the time it takes to make each shift, increasing the life of the transmission.
Google on "transgo faq". You will find sites such as this one:
http://www.txchange.com/transgo.htm
Best of luck
Old 01-26-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

ok, thanks again. but im not sure i am gonna opt for this trans go package. its sounds like a nice kit but it looks like it will cost about 150 dollars in summit and it will have a really hard shift, 2 things im not looking for. maybe one day when i get more money and am not using it for a daily driver i will look into it more. thanks everyone

Quick Reply: shift kit