LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 wouldn't start? All lights work and key could come out with car running?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LT1 wouldn't start? All lights work and key could come out with car running?????

Ok well im not for sure what happened but ive posted this over in the general maintainance section with not much feedback.

So heres the problem well i get in my car and it starts fine everything works. As im driving i notice the tach and the speedo are jumping way up and down. So i revved up the motor and the tach and the speedo both jumped up to the rev of the motor . I did notice the security light has came on a couple times while driving but not this time. Also while driving the car i can pull the key out with the car on and running. Well back to problem i get to my destination and when i get back to the car and try to start it nothing happens. Lights still work, dome light still works, everything works except the car just wouldn't start. When i turned the key it did nothing no click or anything. So we hook up some jumper cables to it and still wouldn't crank. I jack up the car and beat on the starter and still didn't crank. Im very confused on what the problem might be.

Im hoping that some of ya'll have seen this problem before and know how to fix it.

Thanks for the help in advance
B.J.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is your security light on?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I dont think so right now. I cant even check to see what codes its throwing bc when i stick a paper clip on the top 2 pins in the computer piece under the steering wheel, its supposed to check the codes and make the ses light start blinking. well when i do it now nothing happens
Old 01-29-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like the same the thing thats happening to mine, does your stereo turn off and on when your tach/speedometer are jumping? mine does, i think its eithor a bad coil or the opti is bad, you might also want to check your fuel filter and make sure you fuel pump is priming during start etc.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I can hear something coming from the back of the car i think its the fuel pump cutting on but when i turn the key nothing?
Old 01-29-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

check fuses??
Old 01-29-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

ok i just checked every fuse all over the car every one checked out good?? Also disconnected the battery for bout 5-10 min. and tried to start it again.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems to me your problem lies in the VATS, anti theft resistor or pellet, that is in your key, either that or the ignition cylinder, or last, your ignition switch.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Seems to me your problem lies in the VATS, anti theft resistor or pellet, that is in your key, either that or the ignition cylinder, or last, your ignition switch.
If your security light is flashing its something to do with VATS, if not its either your ignition cylinder or switch, switch is alot easier and cheaper to swap out.

http://shbox.com/1/ignswschematic.jpg

Drop your column, and jump from the red to the yellow wire, if it cranks its your ignition switch.

Last edited by Valkyn; 01-29-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Valkyn
If your security light is flashing its something to do with VATS, if not its either your ignition cylinder or switch, switch is alot easier and cheaper to swap out.

http://shbox.com/1/ignswschematic.jpg

Drop your column, and jump from the red to the yellow wire, if it cranks its your ignition switch.
What exactly do you mean jump from the red to the yellow wire??? Please explain...
Old 01-30-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pull the red and yellow wires off the ignition switch (they just plug into it), then take another piece of wire that has been stripped at both ends and push the bare part into the female ends of the red and yellow wires.

This will complete the circut, effectively bypassing the key cylinder and ignition switch. So if the car cranks, you know that the problem is one of those two.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm so all i need to do is take all the panels off around the steering shaft or whatever and just pull these red and yellow wires out and then get another piece of wire and then connect the 2. I think ill try it tonight how far is it past where the key goes in? or is it right there?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is where the wires are at.

You need to drop your column down, its really just unbolting like 5 bolts and unhooking some wires, complete guide here.

http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html

You dont need to take the column completely out, but its not much harder to.

Quick Reply: LT1 wouldn't start? All lights work and key could come out with car running?????