LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Speed density question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speed density question

Ok so I talked to Lloyd about My LE3 package, and I asked him about MAF limitations. He said that I could go with a speed density tune for more HP. Which tune is more street friendly, or does this all depend on the tuner.

I guess I am looking for some pro's and cons, because I dont know much about how speed density works. I know that if you unplug your MAF that speed density takes over.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

i have a speed density car but they all have there plus and minus's.... i have seen MAF cars running 1600rwhp... so anything is possible...
Old 02-04-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by harvickgm
i have a speed density car but they all have there plus and minus's.... i have seen MAF cars running 1600rwhp... so anything is possible...
Thats what im trying to figure out. What are the ups and downs?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

just another sensor to play more part in all the tuning... and something else to break...lol...
but for streetability... they say you can fine tune alot better with the MAF systems...
Old 02-05-2007, 09:11 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on how much power you are making. Takes more air to make more power. Until I passed 500 rwhp loosing the MAF was worth less than 5 rwhp. Biggest thing there was the air box, not the sensor. Speed density more requires modifying several other correction tables that are not as influential in MAF mode. Until you get those other tables in line, weather changes will cause you some drivability issues. I changed mine to an 85mm MAF used on the late Vettes and trucks. It was worth 3 or 4 rwhp over the stock unit on my car. It will flow as much air as a 383" at 7000 RPM needs. That's right at the RPM limit for the factory PCMs anyway. I think if I had time to build a decent air box min would run just as fast with a MAF as without.

Quick Reply: Speed density question