LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

megasquirt in a 95 z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Default megasquirt in a 95 z28

ive been looking at tuning options and ive pretty much settled on megasquirt.
my current dilemma is figuring out how to wire the system to the opti and msd digital 6 plus. i havent committed to anything yet, as id like to get a better idea of how complicated, expensive this would be to do. i know the system works with msd 6A as seen here http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/msd6a.htm
i assume the 6plus would be the same but im not sure.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you make the ford style Reluctor wheel and mount it just behind the Pully with the correct sensor you can run wasted spark. Not a ton of Info on it. One of the guys here is running it this way on his Volvo 240

Check the NW section under Poik
Old 02-05-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been looking into this also. Going to the module, coil, or MSD shouldn't be a problem, as you've already found out.

Getting a signal from the opti shouldn't be hard, as the low res output is just what the MS needs, a perfect 1 pulse per fire. Some say that the MS doesn't like the signal since the pulse width is not constant and I don't think anyone has made it work yet.

Another option is to install a '96/'97 OBDII timing cover with the crank position sensor. This gives 1 pulse per fire also and it has been shown to work.

Finally, you could use the MS to control fuel only. The stock ECM would still control ignition timing, transmission if needed, gauges, security, HVAC, ABS, IAC, ETC. If this sounds rigged to you, then consider that most aftermarket EFI systems retain the stock ECM for some of these things. Also consider that Parish8 has been running MS on just fuel on his 1000+ rwhp LSx, while the stock ECM controls everything else including spark. Installing it this way only takes about 7 wires, and you only have to cut the injector wires in the stock harness since you only have to tap into the other 5. Another advantage to this method is you don't have to experiment with different and complicated IAC and ignition settings.

Mike
Old 02-05-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

so if i convert to an obd2 timing cover do i still need to rig up an edis wheel type setup? the car is my only one so i cant have it down for more than a few days, and i dont really have the time/money to experiment with a custom crank sensor. assuming i leave the ignition to the ecm but need to change it, i assume that can only be done with a conventional tuner, correct? when i get closer to doing this i will be asking
MUCH more in depth questions, but these replies have been very helpful!
Old 02-05-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

just looked up the msd flying magnet setup, would this hook up to the megasquirt with little or no modification?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
so if i convert to an obd2 timing cover do i still need to rig up an edis wheel type setup?
Nope. The whole purpose of the OBD2 sensor is to take the place of the trigger wheel.

the car is my only one so i cant have it down for more than a few days,
Keep in mind that no one ever marketed the MS as a plug-n-play system. It is meant to be a learning experience also. I wouldn't try this unless I had backup transportation, or could easily go back to the stock ECM (as in the case where you only need 7 wires like I described earlier).

assuming i leave the ignition to the ecm but need to change it, i assume that can only be done with a conventional tuner, correct?
Yes, like LT1edit or Tunercat. You can also still scan it using any LT1 scanner. The sensors will all work. If you do leave the ignition on the stock ECM, there is no need for a trigger wheel or OBDII crank sensor.

Mike
Old 02-05-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by engineermike
Nope. The whole purpose of the OBD2 sensor is to take the place of the trigger wheel.

Mike
is it fairly easy to wire the sensor to the MS2? do you know if i can hook up the obd2 style sensor and still run the car stock otherwise, and then install the ms later. im hoping if i can hammer out the details i can get the car up and running a few days after tearing into it.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also gonna go this route eventually, anyone running it now on a lt1?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

do you know if i can hook up the obd2 style sensor and still run the car stock otherwise, and then install the ms later.
Just because you add a sensor doesn't mean you have to use it.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97blkz
I am also gonna go this route eventually, anyone running it now on a lt1?
There's at least 2 or 3 guys that I've heard about using it.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just because you add a sensor doesn't mean you have to use it.
i wasnt sure if it would mess up any sensors that may have been there. im a newb to the lt1.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

so far this http://www.directignition.com/trigge...220-72808.html is top on my list for running a crank sensor. its high resolution and should bolt right on. thoughts?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's at least 2 or 3 guys that I've heard about using it.

i hear that but never find those guys.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97blkz
i hear that but never find those guys.
One guy is Will Stukas who goes by "will62085" on camaroz28.com and maybe ls1tech also.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2108416/1

You can search here also:

http://www.msefi.com/
Old 02-07-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im here, obd II crank sensor is all ya need, the opti alone WILL NOT TRIGGER the ms. another option is doing fuel only, and triggering the ms off the (-) side of the coil.

it is a great system though.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Keep in mind that no one ever marketed the MS as a plug-n-play system. It is meant to be a learning experience also. I wouldn't try this unless I had backup transportation, or could easily go back to the stock ECM (as in the case where you only need 7 wires like I described earlier).

Mike

PowerEFI makes a MS based PNP setup for the LT1, that's what I'm using on my turbo LT1.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:31 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ I'm going to have to check that out. I've been consider MS for a while now.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

I'm in the process of switching over to MS, I posted up on the forums and they said that you can get a tach signal from the digital 6, but I'm just using it for fuel. Leaving all the other stuff to the stock pcm.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wannabess
I'm in the process of switching over to MS, I posted up on the forums and they said that you can get a tach signal from the digital 6, but I'm just using it for fuel. Leaving all the other stuff to the stock pcm.
I'm not a fan of doing that because you're creating delays, plus the uneven pulse widths might cause it to fall out of sync(they will be uneven because the tach pulse will depend on timing advance calculated by the stock PCM). The PNP setup uses the OPTI signal.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by seank
I'm not a fan of doing that because you're creating delays, plus the uneven pulse widths might cause it to fall out of sync(they will be uneven because the tach pulse will depend on timing advance calculated by the stock PCM). The PNP setup uses the OPTI signal.
triggering the MS off a 6al box might work. I know the output from one of the MSD boxes drives my stock tach wild at high rpms/high rate of change of RPM.

This new PNP setup looks like it might be the ticket for the LT1 guys who don't like rebuilding harnesses.

Quick Reply: megasquirt in a 95 z28