LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sprung a Leak!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sprung a Leak!

I was driving home a couple of days ago when the check gauges light came on. The temp was pegged out on the factory guage. I got it shut down immediately, so I don't think any damage was done to the engine.

When I got a chance to look at it, the first thing I found was a leaky heater hose. I fixed it yesterday and began filling the radiator. Before the radiator was full, I could hear water hitting the garage floor. It took me a little while to see where the water was coming from, but I found a freeze plug that has started leaking. It is located on the front of the block on the passenger side. I pulled some stuff off so I can see it, but I still don't have a lot of room to work.

Does anyone have any tips on getting the old plug out?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Knock it in with a screwdriver and a hammer and grab a hold of the side with a pair of channel lock pliers and roll it out of the block. Use the nose of the pliers as leverage on the block
Old 02-09-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

It was a PITA but I got it! While I was there, I went ahead and pulled off the front sway bar and AIR system. I'm still debating on pulling off the AC, since the compressor is bad anyway. Summers get hot here in Florida.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Its not too bad as long as you dont have leather. I went back home to SW Florida for a year after the Marines and it wasnt too bad. Only sucked when it was raining but if you dont drive your car in the rain anyway it doesnt matter. GLad you were able to get it
Old 02-09-2007, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

When it's raining, I turn mine to cool on the Temp Dial, and it blows in cold air. I completely took the AC out of mine, even the crap off of the Firewall.