LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Its Not DEAD! almost

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its Not DEAD! almost

Well for those of you who remember, I posted this https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/635441-its-dead.html
because my TA had just decided to stop running, Well I recently bought a MSD opti, because I figured out eventually that the codes were pointing to a high resistance reading in one of my timing references, I replaced the Crank sensor hoping for the cheap fix, but no it was the Opti.

Well today I was pulling everything off to replace the opti. I noticed some corrosion around the heater hose nipple near the thermostat housing exit. well it looked like it was seeping down and pooling on the recess for the water pump bolt, I pulled off the water pump and unplugged the top pigtail on the opti and low and behold check out what I found

water had gotten past the weather pack and corroded my opti plug. I can only assume how bad the disk inside must look. Well I am glad to have solved this problem.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well at least it will be up and running well again.

I wonder if that plate that Merv made keeps all water and stuff off the opti, or just when the weep hole is dripping? Thinking of making one next time I have to do a waterpump or something.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH! Bad day... At least you found it though. I would try to pull the opti apart to see how bad it is before replacing it.

-bryan
Old 02-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Launching!

it should not have made it into the cap. the pins going inside are normaly sealed very good
Old 02-09-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

At least you found the problem, thats always a relief.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Well at least it will be up and running well again.

I wonder if that plate that Merv made keeps all water and stuff off the opti, or just when the weep hole is dripping? Thinking of making one next time I have to do a waterpump or something.
I think he said it was just for the weep hole

I just decided to replace it all, this is my second Opti in about 2 years, since I got the MSD one pretty cheap and I really like the redesign, I just decided to go with the MSD opti. They really improved upon the design its really nice.