LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Opinions

What's up- I am currently at a debate with this, so hopefully you all can throw out some good opinions..
I recently killed my Camaro, I have another car to drive, so I have no problem with it sitting for a while, but it sucks cause that thing is fun as hell to drive.
This is where I am trying to decide what I am going to do:
1. I can fix it, what happened was it shelled out the Ring and Pinion, and something in the Transmission. I am going to buy a set of new Richmond 3.73's+Motive Shim Kit for about $260 to put in there and put the Rear back together(still 7.5" 10-bolt). Then I am goin to pull the Tranny and bring it to a place recommended by a few friends that builds a real nice one for $1k. I am also looking at a Yank S3000 Stall for $370 to drop in it. Right there is roughly $1650 invested to get it back together, and a little better than before, running est. low 12's.
OR 2. I have been working on a Harness and got a '02 Computer to wire in a LSX Engine into the Car. I am thinking of getting the 6.0 Iron Block that I found for $450, and building my 402 setup out of it. I know I have to get a Tranny/Stall for that, all the other stuff, and I was going to invest into getting that one built up for the Car. Then I was going to sell the 7.5" 10-bolt Auburn Posi Differential that I currently have, it has about 10K on it and works flawless, seen about maybe 6 track passes, so that is still good. I am going to get a Moser 8.5" 10-bolt Rear in the Car, and drop in a 8.5" GM Auburn Posi with 3.73's. I have had a few offers on the Engine that is currently in the Car, so that might go out to someone. This will cost probably $6k, but make it around a low 11's all motor Car.
That will cost more over time, but I am kinda at a point where I have a few bucks to play with, and eventually I would do all these upgrades. I didn't expect this to happen as soon as it did, but I can afford to have the Car down for a while, it sits peacefully in storage.
I know it's a book, what do you guys think?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

humm build up the 402 and put that 8.5'' rear end in you should be good, go with 3500 stall on the LSX motor? good luck!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is hard to beat the LSx technology. But then again option C with a BBC could be fun too.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

its a matter of time and money??????
Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Time is not a factor, I am driving my other car so I have a way to work and all that stuff. I am just planning on how much I want to get into it, and if I can get a definate buyer on the LT1 that I have in there, then game on.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

I think you should fix the rear and tranny to specs that would also work with the motor you want to build, that way you'll be set for it and can drive the car for fun. Then take your time building the motor and swap it when ready. That's actually the same thing I'm doing. I'm finishing up suspension/drivetrain, then I'm going to start building an LS based motor in my garage...taking my time
Old 02-16-2007, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

I looked into it and I found that it's cheaper to get a LSX Transmission with the build that I am going to go with. I guess I can fix the Rear I have in it now, and sell it eventually with that good Posi and Richmond Gears in it, and hopefully it will bring a good amount so I can get a Moser 8.5" Housing/Axles, and set that up with a GM 8.5" Posi and 3.73's. The current Transmission I can get a performance rebuild for $1k, and that is rated for well over what my car can do. I wish I could use that on the LSX motor, but I have to get the Electronics all changed up.

Quick Reply: Opinions