LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

T/A Cut off and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T/A Cut off and won't start

A buddy of mine just bought a '95 T/A and it needed a tune up when he bought it. We put new plugs in it and it ran better. Last night it was running great and then it just cut off. It wouldn't even turn over and the fuel pump wasn't coming on. All the lights work but nothing when you try to crank it, just dead silence. Could the VAPS have anything to do with it? We checked the fuses and they seemed to be fine. I'm stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coil?? Maybe the Opti is shot?
Old 02-16-2007, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Are you thinking of VATS? If so that will allow the engine to start briefly.

You say the fuel pump isnt priming? In that case I'd start to lean toward the PCM...or maybe just a wiring problem.
Is the engine turning over?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by theroad64
Are you thinking of VATS? If so that will allow the engine to start briefly.

You say the fuel pump isnt priming? In that case I'd start to lean toward the PCM...or maybe just a wiring problem.
Is the engine turning over?

No, the engine won't turn over..The lights work and that's it. When you try to start it, all you get is silence. No fuel pump priming, no starter, nothing. VATS is what I was thinking, but not too sure. When the car was running the voltage was fluxuating, but nothing else. I've owned 7 LT1s and have never experienced this before.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Seems like it would have to be wiring/battery. If it were the PCM the thing would crank over. Voltage fluctuating while running points to that too.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Coil?? Maybe the Opti is shot?
engine would still turn even though there is no spark. Is the security light on?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
engine would still turn even though there is no spark. Is the security light on?
True...I'm not sure on the security light....I'll take a closer look this evening and let you know. I was leaning towards the PCM and we have a spare to swap out to see if that's the problem. If that's not it, we'll go for the VATS...
Old 02-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Mine did that at school a couple of times. The whole dash lit up like it was going to start, but there was dead silence. Geoff over at Thunder told me sometimes the little chip on the key can get stuff on it from being in your pockets, and then that could get caught in the key hole and disrupt the security feature. I took a can of that computer cleaning compressed air and sprayed it in the keyhole on the steering column. It started right up and I haven't had that problem in 3 years.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Launching!

deffinetly check to see if the security light is on, you cant really miss it. If it is on you have to wait like 3 minutes (or until the light goes off) until you can try to start again. I have never seen a VATS system malfunction and make the car shut off though. I have seen the light go on many times in many cars while driving down the road but never had a runnability issue. lol plenty of 3 hour waits trying to start one up before waiting on that damn light to go off and have it not start like a thousand times. Maybe a potential ignition switch issue?? check all your grounds as well. theres one that bolts to the stud of the coil, and theres on that runs off the negative side of the battery and another one that branches off the negative side of the battery kind of near that little red box where all the positives meet. Just throwing suggestions out there, i ******* hate problems like this!!
Old 02-16-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

I'd say VATS, do all the stuff people on here say. If that doesn't work, I'd suspect opti. I'm not sure about the fuel pump but when mine when out it wouldn't even try to turn.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Launching!

absolutely no possible way is this an ignition related (spark) problem, you simply are not cranking. I would first suspect VATS is your problem whether its the $200 vat module from the dealer or the 25$ key. Also as a side note your fuel pump would still prime even if the vats is going to malfunction. double tripple and quadroupple check every ground coming off the motor
Old 02-18-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

We tightened all the grounds and cleaned the key and ignition swtich out and and replaced the PCM with a tuned one that had the VATS removed and it still wouldn't start. The only thing we suspect is the aftermarket alarm has something to do it, but not sure. I'm stumped!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the "SECURITY" light on?? If so, VATS won't allow engine to even turn over.....
Old 02-19-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm mine did the same type thing. Except i made it all the way to my destination but when i went to start my car it was the same thing dead silence. I thought starter at first but when i hit it nothing happened. Come to find out it was the ignition switch, so maybe you might wana check that out. Thats what fixed mine
Old 02-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Teching In

i know where there is a 95 z-28 6 speed, and the guy thats sellin it says it doesnt start all the time and then when it does it only runs for like 4 or 5 min and then shuts off. does this sound like anything that any of you guys have been talkin about, and he only want 3500 for it the way it sits. good deal or no? dont know much bout lt1s but i love camaros and just hate to pass this deal up because of this issue it doesnt seem like much but i figure u guys will know. thanx.