LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need to cut down an ARP main stud...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need to cut down an ARP main stud...

I need to cut down the length of an ARP main stud, it is a long windage tray bolt but it is on the #5 and not being used with the windage tray. It is rubbing the Melling select oil pump. If I cut the smaller theaded extension off then the clearance will be better. I am not talking about the larger threaded area used to secure the main.

I want to make sure that I dont compromise the strength of the bolt while doing this. I am thinking using a thin cut-off wheel in a grinder.

Any advice?
Thanks
Old 02-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heat is your number one problem when it comes to making sure you don't disturb the "hardness" of a bolt. If I were in your shoes, I would put a nut on the bolt, one on each end, then chuck it up in a vise and use a fine tooth hacksaw with lots of lubricant or water. Somthing that will keep the temp down when you are cutting. Just go slow and you won't have a problem. After it's cut, use a triangle file (or a die, whichever is easier) to fix the threads and then run the nut down the threads to make sure it good and stick it on the engine.

I will stake a claim. Many may dissagree with me........this is just the way I would do it. I am a regular redneck.

Joe