LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finished Swapping Cam Will Not Start Now

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Finished Swapping Cam Will Not Start Now

94 LT1 6 speed Corvette non-vented opti-spark

Everything worked perfectly before is not sparking the wires now. Any ideas? Any connections are have been checked and re-checked. I even swapped out the ignition module with a spare I had. Could the opti-spark distributor now be installed correctly. I did not put the #1 cylinder on TDC before installing but did not think I had to.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wheeljo2
94 LT1 6 speed Corvette non-vented opti-spark

Everything worked perfectly before is not sparking the wires now. Any ideas? Any connections are have been checked and re-checked. I even swapped out the ignition module with a spare I had. Could the opti-spark distributor now be installed correctly. I did not put the #1 cylinder on TDC before installing but did not think I had to.
No spark at all means your wiring that you have bouble checked is still wronge. Even with the indexing wronge on the opti you would get spark just not at the right time. Check the opti harness again making sure it is seated right and all your coil, maf, icm and so on connections. You may have put one in the wronge spot. I know its not likely but it has been done before.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Launching!

You shouldn't have to mess with engine timing as long as you put your cam/crank gear on right.
On the 94 back opti, its run by a small gear, which has a key or "blank" spot on it that doesn't have any splines. It has to mate up perfect with the slot cut in the dist. It can physically be forced on wrong, but that may not be the case?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

After further inspection with a test light I realized that I'm not getting any fire out of the ignition module & coil. I have another one of each that I can try but does it have to be bolted to the head to ground?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

If I remember corrctly the coil or module one of the two has a plug like the map sensor are you 100% you did not switch these two around.

Originally Posted by wheeljo2
After further inspection with a test light I realized that I'm not getting any fire out of the ignition module & coil. I have another one of each that I can try but does it have to be bolted to the head to ground?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

The map sensor connection is green and has 3 cylinder looking terminals and I know I got that hooked up right. The two connectors that are identical are the ignition module and the IAC sensor on the throttle body. I tried it both ways even though I was pretty confident I was using the right ones as one of them will not reach but only one of the two connectors. Seems like it must be something in the opti- perhaps the internal module but why did it go bad just merely by taking off and putting back on.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Looks like it is a shot Opti-Spark....
Old 02-18-2007, 02:26 AM
Launching!

Slow down. HAve you checked for power to the coil and icm? and yes it has to be grounded to work. Also check the opti harness going into the opti is tight and seated correctly no hi-res signal means nothing will work.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96slow6
Slow down. HAve you checked for power to the coil and icm? and yes it has to be grounded to work. Also check the opti harness going into the opti is tight and seated correctly no hi-res signal means nothing will work.
agreed dont cry opti yet, just check everything in a logical order.

Quick Reply: Finished Swapping Cam Will Not Start Now