LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Firebird and Corvette Crankshaft Position Sensor's Different Sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Firebird and Corvette Crankshaft Position Sensor's Different Sizes?

Well my mechanic and his machinist where discussing why my car still leaks out the sensor (non used on my 94) we came to the conclusion its a firebird/camaro sensor in the corvette housing so i looked it up on a site.. i get different numbers... is this true ones bigger then the other??
Old 02-18-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gun5
Well my mechanic and his machinist where discussing why my car still leaks out the sensor (non used on my 94) we came to the conclusion its a firebird/camaro sensor in the corvette housing so i looked it up on a site.. i get different numbers... is this true ones bigger then the other??

hmm thats pretty interesting, I dont see why GM would produce two different timing covers, seeing as its not cost effective. Or producing a completely different part numbered part to do the same job.

The only thing that I can think of is that the sensor bore is the same, but maybe they mount differently or have a different plug style
Old 02-19-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
hmm thats pretty interesting, I dont see why GM would produce two different timing covers, seeing as its not cost effective. Or producing a completely different part numbered part to do the same job.

The only thing that I can think of is that the sensor bore is the same, but maybe they mount differently or have a different plug style
one is deeper then the other... and one sensor's connection part is faced covering the mounting bolt the other is pointing up towards the opti
Old 02-19-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gun5
one is deeper then the other... and one sensor's connection part is faced covering the mounting bolt the other is pointing up towards the opti
ah i see, my TA has the connector pointed toward the harmonic balancer and Opti.

which did yours have
Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

pointed forward towards the nose of car... i imagine i got the wrong one