LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oti- trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oti- trouble

Ok guys let me start over i replaced the opti-spark b/c it failed no spark. I bought a gm opti from summit, it lasted 4 months, it started missing at rpms above 3000 rpms. I had summit send me a new one it was fine for about 8 months then it failed with the same miss at 3000 rpms. I then thought i would try the MSD opti work awsome (only three mounths old)till i parked to car for about two weeks. After sitting that long i went to start the car it fire up then died. NOw i no spark and i have check everything. i can up with that there was no signel be recived from the opti. also got code 16. My question is what should i do is it my car that is eating optis or is it bad parts ???? I have use alldata flow charts to check volt, ohms,....... list goes on i could not find anything wrong. please help.MY problem is that optis keep failing but why ??????

Last edited by artic; 02-19-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Teching In

I would assume that you are referring to the opti and you just forgot the "p". If you have this many opti failures, I would start looking somewhere else for the root cause. How do you know its the opti?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by firetird
I would assume that you are referring to the opti and you just forgot the "p". If you have this many opti failures, I would start looking somewhere else for the root cause. How do you know its the opti?
my thoughts exactly
Old 02-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Teching In

where should i look ????? thats what im asking ?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

sounds kinda like fuel system, in that case it could be a lot of things, fuel pump, injectors, regulator, filter. but i dont get y the new optis are fixing the problem then it comes back again
Old 02-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you checking the opti's when you replace them??? I would take one apart and see what is failing. You would want to know if it is the sensor or a actual mechanical faliure.
Are you running an aftermarket camshaft and timing chain set??? If you are be sure to check the length of the camshaft dowel engagement. If memory serves me correct the dowel should be .600" - .620" from the face of the camshaft. Anymore will push against the back of the opti and you will have bearing and sensor issues.

If that checks out then I would try balancing the Opti rotor. All GM opti rotors are horribly out of balance. I have done this to all of my GM opti's and routinley spin them past 6500 RPM with no problem.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Agreed, I'd inspect failed opti units if you're having that much problem with them, and there aren't other hardware causing the issues. As jm mentions if you have a cam and have been experiencing this problem since installation, the cam dowel pin could be too long.

Quick Reply: oti- trouble