LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What size are the lifter gallery Freeze plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default What size are the lifter gallery Freeze plugs?

There's 3 small freeze plug style plugs that seal the front of the lifter galleries. The engine builder left them out. I was assembling the timing chain, etc and noticed all three holes were open. Thank God they were noticed. If I'd fully assembled the motor and installed it in the car and fired it up, there would've been zero oil pressure. I certainly would've concluded that it was the pump or something and the last thing I would've considered would've been these plugs. Certain things on a professionally built shortblock, well you would assume had been addressed. There rear tapped plugs are there, but the front freeze plugs are not. There's one for each of the lifter banks and one in the middle of the block that perhaps feeds the oil to the top of the lifters.
Thanks,
David K. Wilson

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 02-22-2007 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Semantic error
Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn I don't know the size, but I blew my first rebuit motor like that....
Old 02-24-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, my insurance agent (Owns "Double Trouble" N20 2 stage w/Vortech S trim) went by the engine builders shop and picked up some. They were in little GM packets. They have tiny holes drilled in them to dribble oil on the timing set I'm told. I also went by the local Advance Auto and picked up about 20 of various sizes just in case. It's all good now. Boy, it's been a learning experience. In assembling the motor I've found out that;
1. Just because the block has been clearanced for the 383, don't assume the Canton Pan will clear the crank counter balances (They didn't. Had to peel the pan off and clearance the pan)

2. Don't assume that because everyone tells you the CC ProMags will clear everything that they will. The Solid Cam I put in has 1.550 springs and I had to clearance every stinking one of them and removed a lot of metal to get them to clear.

3. As you mentioned, don't assume the pro shops to get everything. Those missing oil gallery plugs both in the LT1 and the LS1, can cause catastrophe.

On your motor, did you start it and find no oil pressure and assume it was the
pump/pickup?

Quick Reply: What size are the lifter gallery Freeze plugs?