LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 hotcam question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT4 hotcam question

Will I need different pushrods, TB, lifters, valve stem seals, injectors, and everything to install this cam? I know it comes as a package. I'll be spraying either my 100-150 shot with this cam.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

need or want? You don't need much besides having to get lt4 springs or another higher lift spring. While your in it you might as well put in new lifters and gaskets.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pddye
need or want? You don't need much besides having to get lt4 springs or another higher lift spring. While your in it you might as well put in new lifters and gaskets.

Cool, that's what I was looking for. My buddy is selling a set of barely used 42# injectors, and I didn't know if I should pick those up. The kit comes with the valve springs and such.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The valvesprings in that kit are marginal at best. They were barely OK with the LT4 lightweight valves, the LT1 valves are heavier.

You will probably outgrow those rockers too as GM speced them with a short slot limiting lift capacity, they have plenty of clearance with the HOT cam but if and when you step up and do things right you will be buying rockers again.

It would be silly to not replace the seal.
The injectors might be OK if in good shape yet and the tune is good.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Teching In

The only thing you need is the LT4 Hotcam kit, valve seals and gaskets. Don't worry about injectors unless you plan on going with a bigger cam. Once you finish you should get a tune. A tune is not completely necessary but my car ran like crap with out one.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The valvesprings in that kit are marginal at best. They were barely OK with the LT4 lightweight valves, the LT1 valves are heavier.

You will probably outgrow those rockers too as GM speced them with a short slot limiting lift capacity, they have plenty of clearance with the HOT cam but if and when you step up and do things right you will be buying rockers again.

It would be silly to not replace the seal.
The injectors might be OK if in good shape yet and the tune is good.
I agree completely with that. If I did my hotcam all over again -- I'd get better springs. The seals you should do while you've got it all apart anyways.

As far as lifters go -- depending on mileage it might not hurt because like everything else, you've got it apart you might as well do it. I ended up collapsing a lifter and binding a rocker off of a valve when I had a nitrous backfire with my car.

Word from the wise -- if you're spraying. Make sure everything is properly adjusted and tuned before you add nitrous into the mix. And with the nitrous don't get greedy, start small and work your way up. Get all of the necessary safety equipment and you'll be very happy with the result. My car trapped 117 with the hot cam and a 100 shot.

If you plan on stepping up to much more than a 100 shot I'd look into replacing your fuel pump too.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I've already had my nitrous on for almost a year and gone through multiple bottles. The car has timing retarded, and all the necessary safety equipment to run with it. I still have the stock fuel pump, and have not had any problems. I will be adding a aftermarket one soon.

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
I agree completely with that. If I did my hotcam all over again -- I'd get better springs. The seals you should do while you've got it all apart anyways.

As far as lifters go -- depending on mileage it might not hurt because like everything else, you've got it apart you might as well do it. I ended up collapsing a lifter and binding a rocker off of a valve when I had a nitrous backfire with my car.

Word from the wise -- if you're spraying. Make sure everything is properly adjusted and tuned before you add nitrous into the mix. And with the nitrous don't get greedy, start small and work your way up. Get all of the necessary safety equipment and you'll be very happy with the result. My car trapped 117 with the hot cam and a 100 shot.

If you plan on stepping up to much more than a 100 shot I'd look into replacing your fuel pump too.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

I kept the stock stamped rockers with my cc503 which has a higher lift then the smaller hotcam. They have worked perfectly with this cam. I ran a 12 flat with a 1.8 60' which could have been better. If i had a money tree then i would have went all out, but on a budget i had a good setup.

Quick Reply: LT4 hotcam question