LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lost 3rd and 4th?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost 3rd and 4th?

I think i screwed up my trans.
well I was creating some smoke by a friends house yesterday and as I drove off when it shifted into 3rd the Rpms went up to around 4k at 30mph
I couldn't get it to go into 4th at all

I had to drive it in 2nd to get it home.
It's been sliping while shifting into 2nd and 3rd at WOT for a while now so i knew it was comming

So i figure i'm in for a rebuild what kit should i get or would it be that much better to just have someone else do it (still in school and low on $)

dunno if this helps any but it's a 95 Z28 A4 bored .030 over hotcam and lightly ported heads (and a few other suporting mods)

Thanks
Anthony
Old 02-26-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

you broke a main gear cog (name?) for your 3rd to 4th. Maybe even broke the teeth .I broke mine in my 5th to 6th and had to limp home one time.(without 5th or 6th) Mine broke right in the center of the shaft under normal driving. The tranny guy said that was a defect in the metal, that caused the break.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

um. he has an auto... 4l60e sux dick, buy a 6spd!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

No he's talking A4, you fried a clutch pack and trans needs rebuilt. If you don't know what you're in for I'd take it to a good trans shop, you can save a bit by pulling the trans yourself. You CAN do it yourself if you're really dedicated but I don't recommend it, and in the end you probably won't save a whole lot. That being said, in order to do it yourself you'll have to either buy or build some special tools(spring compressors, seal tools, end play guage, etc) and make sure you get an ATSG manual. I went with the Alto red eagle kit when I rebuilt mine, and it's good stuff. In addition to the kit you'll need a band(think that was seperate) a new TQ converter and a new sprag. I also bought an upgraded pump kit, corvette band servo, shift kit and upgraded sun shell, but all that's optional. The place I ordered my parts from is gone now so I dunno about that.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

1200- 1600 min. i have had LITERALLY 18 built for three different f bods. they fn suck. go with a built 700-r4 and a stall. about 1200, but cheaper all around, and no electronics to worry about.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FORDRECOVERYEXPERT
um. he has an auto... 4l60e sux dick, buy a 6spd!!!

DOH!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to anyone go to Rossler. People think they are junk because they are uneducated and have not built their own the right way or have had other people with little knowledge about the transmission rebuild it.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fergymoto
If you go to anyone go to Rossler. People think they are junk because they are uneducated and have not built their own the right way or have had other people with little knowledge about the transmission rebuild it.
x2 Rossler
Old 02-27-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by knight17Z
I think i screwed up my trans.
well I was creating some smoke by a friends house yesterday and as I drove off when it shifted into 3rd the Rpms went up to around 4k at 30mph
I couldn't get it to go into 4th at all

I had to drive it in 2nd to get it home.
It's been sliping while shifting into 2nd and 3rd at WOT for a while now so i knew it was comming

So i figure i'm in for a rebuild what kit should i get or would it be that much better to just have someone else do it (still in school and low on $)

dunno if this helps any but it's a 95 Z28 A4 bored .030 over hotcam and lightly ported heads (and a few other suporting mods)

Thanks
Anthony
mine is the same way no 3rd and 4th, but i finished it off with a big burnout this weekend,now i have no gears lol! the vid will be posted soon,
Old 02-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, i had that happen to me too. just get a new tranny...after labor costs on tryin to fix the old one, the price is about the same, and who knows what other wear problems might show up once u get into fixing the old one
Old 02-27-2007, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a bud with the exact same problem. It runs through 1st & 2nd perfect and on the 2-3 shift, it's in neutral. We're running him out to Select Performance tomorrow. We're hoping it's just a solonoid or wiring problem. I'll post the results.
It's not. I'd bet my weiner on it.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

My friend's transmission was checked out at Select. Apparently, in the pan rail, there's a bleed off vent for the servo. This vent is a small hole in the pan gasket rail. The stock pan and gasket are notched to clear this vent. My friend had an aftermarket pan and gasket that didn't have the notch and the vent was covered up. There was even a GM bulletin noting this after they had some warranty and service issues caused by aftermarket parts.

It’s in the pan gasket surface just under the servo, the big round thing on the side of the case. This hole needs to be clear. Check your units guys! Covering this hole can cause the servo and clutch packs to hang up and wear out very quickly.

Quick Reply: Lost 3rd and 4th?