LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Perfect, broke the opti

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Perfect, broke the opti

Well, it's kind of that "I told you so" feeling I'm having right now. Just changed the thermostat to 160* and leaked some coolant. I did have towels around it though. Had a feeling something bad was going to happen. I didn't know if coolant is bad for the opti, or liquids in general. So I poured some water over the waterpump to clean off the coolant. Finished up and she started right up. Let it run for about 15 minutes while reving it up to 3K and keeping it constant at 1,500rpm.

Next I turned it off and hooked up my Hypertech programer so I can change my fan settings. While it was programing, I went inside cause it takes like 15 minutes. Came back out and the battery (hypertech) was low so it stopped in the middle. I couldn't find a battery so I decided to go the store. Thats when the car would not start. It cranked super healthy, but wouldn't fire.

Will it not start cause the computer isn't programed, or I ruined the opti?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

i would think if you had it runing before the programming, the opti would be fine. sounds like the computer. my motor is in a show car and i routinely spray off and wash my motor and have never had any problems, tho i hear you can ruin the opti this way.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Contrary to what stupid people will tell you a little moisture will not kill the opti.

I think LT1FALCON is right and you fried the computer.
They are flash memory and if there is an interuption like oh say turning off the key or the battery going dead the chips endup blank and incapable of running the car.
You have two choices, madz28.com offers repair service for this but he has to desolder chips from the circuit board to do it so he needs the pcm inhand and a few days to do it. Other choice is a junkyard pcm but since all you have is a hypercrap you would need to get a donor pcm that is from a VERY similar f-body.

If you had real tuning software you could get a computer from a MUCH larger group of cars but the Hypercrap needs an appropriate base tune too work off of and the b,d-bodies will not work though the PN for the pcm is the same.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

and even then isn't the VIN stored on the PCM and the Hypercraped becomes VIN locked after the tune?????????? Well if ya have a 96-97 I got another PCM
Old 02-26-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

IT'S ALIVE! Phew.. I rode my sister's sweet purple bike up to 7eleven and got some batteries. At least Hypertech is good enough to continue programing where it left off. Finished the program and started right up.

Thanks guys for letting me know it was a PCM problem. It's a lot more reassuring knowing it wasn't a opti problem.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, stupid optispark distributor.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

yea, i didnt think it would ruin ur computer that easily
Old 02-26-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

This 160* stat really keeps the engine cool. A lot cooler than I thought. Was it even a good choice to go with the 160* over the 180*? My temp stays right at 170* in cold weather right now.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
yea, i didnt think it would ruin ur computer that easily
It must have lockedup before it erased the old program otherwise it absolutely will lockup a pcm.

streetwarrior made a good point about the Hypercrap beuing VIN locked. You really shoul;d get rid of that POS and get proper programming, they have almost no redeaming features. They cost too much and doo too little and what they do they do poorly. Lots of guys have documented power LOSSES with them.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

What other choices do I have? I like to be able to do my own tuning, but I don't have a laptop. Something like madz28 or pcmforless?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the 170 thermostat, even with that it seems on a cold morning I'm lucky if I can get some heat.

Good to hear the PCM didn't get screwed.

Quick Reply: Perfect, broke the opti