LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Octanium?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octanium?

OCTANIUM says it will make 93oct 100 oct.is it true and is it worth it?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Doesn't matter.
Octane DOES NOT equal power. Octane is only resistance too detonation and the stock engine can not make use of extra octane.

Guys routinely build 12:1 static compression LT1s for street duty and they are just fine on 93 octane.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

It seems theres alot of posts about octane booster and saving money on gas lately and people trying to get away with 87 octane which is, im just gonna say stupid, but let me put some things into perspective.

First off lets say premium gas is 30 cents more than regular...again this is just a example, dont start arguing gas is more or less im just making a point. i know sometimes it is 20 cents more or 25 or whatever im just using an example. Lets say premium gas at some place is 2.99 per gallon and regular is 2.69 a gallon. So lets say you fill up 12 gallons of premuim which would be $35.88. Now you fill up with regular and 12 gallons of that would cost 32.28...this is only a 3 dollar difference, ok lets say with variations usually your only paying around 5 dollars more for a tank of premium...not that much to bitch about when it comes to how your engine is gonna run. If 5 dollars more a tank is too much for you then you shouldent own a camaro, especially if your crying about gas after you changed your cam and injectors and such i mean come on.

Next octane booster myths. You always see octane booster bottles claim to add 5 points or 7 points or 10 points of octance per tank. Ok maybe this is true, BUT this is where they try to fool you. It takes 10 octane points to raise your octane 1 number, so if you buy lets say NOS brand octane booster claiming it will raise your octane by 10 points, your only raising your octane from 92 to 93 etc. Also a bottle of this stuff is what like 3-5 bucks? That right there is how much more u will spend on a tank of premium instead of trying to fill up with 87 octane then just add some octane booster which i know some people do. And your only raising your octane to 88.

I am not trying to be rude with this post at all I am just trying to say that you probably dont realize your wasting way more money on products than you probably are gas. If you want better mileage get a honda. Show me any muscle car before the lt1 era that can get up to 29 miles per gallon on the highway. There are tons of v-6's out today that dont even get 29 mpg.

Last edited by 93ZM6; 02-26-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Sticky worthy^
Old 02-26-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Good info! I agree with this perspective and it is true that most people dont understand how little of an effect octane boosters actualy have. I onced raced a guy in a mustang who would not run unless he stopped and put 3 bottles of octane booster in it first!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea its true

I dont know how many kids would come in when I worked for pepboys trying to buy the octane booster from NOS thinking they would gain hp. I would try to explain that raising the octane was just for people running high compression who had lower octane gas.

I actually read a article in Car Craft about this, they used some popular octane boosters in an engine on a dyno. the one that stopped detonation the best was 104+ I think I cant remember

Anyways, those octane boosters are like 5bucks for the cheapest ones, the 87 octane gas is usually 20 cents cheaper so you have to buy 25 gallons for it to be a financial reason to run cheaper gas
Old 02-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Teching In

I usually just nose around here, but this is a post I had to comment on.

I have tried to tell my friends and family the same myth 93ZM6 explained about the octane points of octane booster. AND they look at me like I am stupid. It really is a pet peeve.

The only thing I put in the tank every now and then is SeaFoam, and that is just to clean it out good.

Good post!

Quick Reply: Octanium?