LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

air filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter removal

ok guys i got a question, and dont expect to get a definite answer since nobody has probably tried this, just suggestions on what you all think would work best. as some of you know, my LT1 is in a Falcon. my intake setup is somewhat original, but who knows maybe someone else has got it, and i would like to remove the air filter this spring when i go to the track. my question is, should i remove the cone filter, or should i remove the elbow altogether and mount my temp sensor somewhere under the hood ( im only gonna do this when drag racing). im just wondering what would flow more air. it seems to me that it would suck easier if the elbow was off but i dont know. ive included some pictures to show you my setup. thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails air filter removal-new-cimg0144.jpg   air filter removal-new-cimg0142.jpg   air filter removal-new-scan10018.jpg  
Old 02-27-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it is stupid for the purpose of doing it in the first place. It just doesn't make sense that you would try to get a fast time at the track, but not do the same one the street. I feel the same about removing front swaybars, and adding ET street radials only for the track. It's dumb if your going to put it all back for the street.
It reminds me of this local lt1 who ran a 12.6 with the help of skinnies and fat slicks. But he was a fender on me on the street when I was prob. running mid 13's.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

street doesnt matter my friend the track does.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

You can try and remove it, some engines like it. Mine however did not. I didn't see an improvement removing the filter.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

it dont make sense to suck dirty air into your motor for maybe 1/10 of a sec. go buy some pvc pipe and make something to get it down lower for some cooler air if you can just for the track
Old 02-28-2007, 05:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ralls
I think it is stupid for the purpose of doing it in the first place. It just doesn't make sense that you would try to get a fast time at the track, but not do the same one the street. I feel the same about removing front swaybars, and adding ET street radials only for the track. It's dumb if your going to put it all back for the street.
It reminds me of this local lt1 who ran a 12.6 with the help of skinnies and fat slicks. But he was a fender on me on the street when I was prob. running mid 13's.

thanks for the advice!! however, i just like going down to the track and messing around, seeing what helps and what doesnt, im not tryin to build the fastest street machine. and it doesnt hurt your motor to run no airfilter for short times like that. how many race cars do you see with air filters?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't gain anything on a stock LT1 by removing that big air filter, but you will gain quite a bit of hp if you move the air filter somewhere else besides behind the radiator sucking in hot air.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
thanks for the advice!! however, i just like going down to the track and messing around, seeing what helps and what doesnt, im not tryin to build the fastest street machine. and it doesnt hurt your motor to run no airfilter for short times like that. how many race cars do you see with air filters?
My bad, people have different priorities. I myself do most of my fun on the street, but like to go to the track so I atleast know how quick it is. I want my track times to be the same as my street times. Another example would be those Supra guys who overboost for the fansy dyno numbers, but run it low on the track/street.

Anyways, I would do something more permanent. You have ridiculous room under that hood! Fab up something custom like a dual setup going to each side of the car. Then cut out holes in the body and rap a cone around the filter to only allow air from the front of the car. There is seriously an unlimited amount of ways you can do it. I'm feeling really jealous right now..
Old 02-28-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
ok guys i got a question, and dont expect to get a definite answer since nobody has probably tried this, just suggestions on what you all think would work best. as some of you know, my LT1 is in a Falcon. my intake setup is somewhat original, but who knows maybe someone else has got it, and i would like to remove the air filter this spring when i go to the track. my question is, should i remove the cone filter, or should i remove the elbow altogether and mount my temp sensor somewhere under the hood ( im only gonna do this when drag racing). im just wondering what would flow more air. it seems to me that it would suck easier if the elbow was off but i dont know. ive included some pictures to show you my setup. thanks in advance
Since your speeddensity, extend your IAT wire and mount it in a cool place and run no elbow at the track for max performance. This is only if you have a nice track thats fully paved so you aren't injesting huge amounts of crap into your motor.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

My bad, people have different priorities. I myself do most of my fun on the street, but like to go to the track so I atleast know how quick it is. I want my track times to be the same as my street times. Another example would be those Supra guys who overboost for the fansy dyno numbers, but run it low on the track/street.

Anyways, I would do something more permanent. You have ridiculous room under that hood! Fab up something custom like a dual setup going to each side of the car. Then cut out holes in the body and rap a cone around the filter to only allow air from the front of the car. There is seriously an unlimited amount of ways you can do it. I'm feeling really jealous right now..

lol dont be too jealous man. there may be a lot of room for an intake setup since the only accesory i have is the alt.. but there is absolutely no room for headers, not even customs. amazingly, the stock manifolds off the camaro were a perfect fit. it looks like they were designed for a falcon lol.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of in my life.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Should be plenty of air with the filter on. Dunno how you'd feel about this I'd have to think long and hard about it but maybe cut a hole in the fender well and mount the filter behind the drivers headlight. Pop out the light when your at the track for "ram air". It would be a shame to cut a hole in that nice sheet metal though, just a thought.

BTW looks like a very nice ride, you got any full pics?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lazlo
Should be plenty of air with the filter on. Dunno how you'd feel about this I'd have to think long and hard about it but maybe cut a hole in the fender well and mount the filter behind the drivers headlight. Pop out the light when your at the track for "ram air". It would be a shame to cut a hole in that nice sheet metal though, just a thought.

BTW looks like a very nice ride, you got any full pics?

yea, ive thought about that exact idea before, but like u said i would have to cut a large hole in the sheet metal. im not to happy with the setup i got now, it looks kinda aquard, but i couldnt find a filter that hooks directly to the throttle body, so its the best i can do for now. and yea i got full picks, it took about three years to complete, but it turned out real nice, and its an awesome car to drive. P.S. notice the gauges....... 93 z28
Attached Thumbnails air filter removal-new-cimg1154.jpg   air filter removal-new-cimg1159.jpg   air filter removal-new-cimg1152.jpg   air filter removal-new-cimg1122.jpg  
Old 02-28-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mattybz28
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of in my life.
It just doesn't make sense to me. Would you take weight off your car for the track and show off your time, then put it all back for the street. Same philosophy here. I guess this is only from a street racing point of view...
Old 02-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Launching!

It just doesn't make sense to me. Would you take weight off your car for the track and show off your time, then put it all back for the street. Same philosophy here. I guess this is only from a street racing point of view...
I am with you, For me I do not really care that I could run faster if I take out the PC, LCD's, Sub Boxes, Amplifiers just to run a fast time. Run it like you drive it everyday.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1...I'm def. not a track *****. Some people care about numbers. I don't give a rat's *** if it moves .1567 quicker through the quarter. If I do a mod and feel a difference punching it from 25 or so, then I smile like a little kid.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 AM
TECH Resident

hey ralls, i think he was DISAGREEING with you. and i dont know y u guys r are getting worked up about this issue, if i want to play around at the track for fun, dont worry about it. i was just asking for an air filter suggestion, not an entire drag racing modification debate
Old 03-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

This should fit, goes right on the TB, maybe just drill a hole in the end for IAT sensor or just mount it on a bracket near it.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...46165_-1_11175

Nice work man! If I HAD to drive a ford that would be the one though I might have gone a different way on the color.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

street tires are for the street, track tires are for the track. you can hook street tires on the street but not on the track. my street tires get better traction in the rain on the street than they did dry at the track.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Banned

Just try it. What's the worst that can happen? In my experience just experimenting and trying new things has always worked out. Every once in awhile you will catch yourself on fire, but you will recover. There are many experienced proffesional people who communicate through this site. However, there are many college aged kids who take some engineering class, who think they know everything. They don't discover things for themselves or really know any real world applications. They work a part time job their parents give them while in college, buy and ls1, "mod" them, and brag about street racing. They are negative to ricers, when they are essentially the same with a different class of cars. They have no respect for anything becuase they have never really worked for anything. Advertisements and a college course or two is all the knowledge they posses and it shows. Sorry for the sad but true stereotype of a portion of people. Good luck, have fun, stay safe, and the track is really all that matters.

Last edited by toprintonbothsides; 03-01-2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: air filter removal