LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Grinding in the Intake...no good

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grinding in the Intake...no good

The question is, what is it? I have a WS6 and everytime is shut off the engine, a grinding noise comes from it. I heard it was the Air/Fuel Cylinoid or something like that. If this is the problem, it is because the gear in it is going bad, so when fuel stops going through it, it will grind. I just got the car out yesterday, and everytime I shut it off it does this since. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

grinding noise, like a buzz? or like a whoosh

if you are talking about the buzz its the Smog pump, if you are talking about the whoosh, its just the intake taking its last breathe, both are normal
Old 03-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
grinding noise, like a buzz? or like a whoosh

if you are talking about the buzz its the Smog pump, if you are talking about the whoosh, its just the intake taking its last breathe, both are normal
It sounds like a crunchish grindy sound.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm thats weird, just as a side note why did you change the rims from the WS6 wheels to those?

anyways, a cruching noise out of the intake, can you still hear it with the airbox off?
Old 03-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
hmm thats weird, just as a side note why did you change the rims from the WS6 wheels to those?

anyways, a cruching noise out of the intake, can you still hear it with the airbox off?
When I bought it, it had no WS6 rims..I know right, lol. But I had the box off, the MAF and the little duct...air straight to the throttle body....and it still made the sound.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tscape16
The question is, what is it? I have a WS6 and everytime is shut off the engine, a grinding noise comes from it. I heard it was the Air/Fuel Cylinoid or something like that. If this is the problem, it is because the gear in it is going bad, so when fuel stops going through it, it will grind. I just got the car out yesterday, and everytime I shut it off it does this since. Thanks in advance!

there is no such thing as a air/fuel noid. Do you mean maf? The fuel runs thru lines and nothing can grind. The fuel does not go thru anything involving gears.

I would get a buddy to start and turn off the car while you inspect under the hood.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car makes a similar sound through the throttle body i think when i shut it off. Its normal.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by luckyou03
My car makes a similar sound through the throttle body i think when i shut it off. Its normal.
Idle air control motor, replace it soon, its on its way out.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LiENUS
Idle air control motor, replace it soon, its on its way out.
So is it bad for my car to be runnin' it in this condition because I probably can't get it fixed for like 2 weeks or something.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tscape16
So is it bad for my car to be runnin' it in this condition because I probably can't get it fixed for like 2 weeks or something.
If you can, get a gasket set then pull the tb and clean it good. Be very delicate with the idle air control motor (and I wouldn't bother pulling the tps) most likely theres carbon beating it up as it tries to do its job, clean the carbon out of its passages and you can extend its life Heres a picture. It will survive 2 weeks ok though. I would do it myself rather than a shop, as theyl'l just throw a new iac in and be done with it, the iac passage needs to be cleaned out and the tb needs to be removed to do it.

Quick Reply: Grinding in the Intake...no good