LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Student Loan Fixing My Camaro Up =]

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Student Loan Fixing My Camaro Up =]

im getting a student loan i have like $2,000 to play with maybe 3

i wanted to go with headers for sure and i was thinking about doing two pipes with h pipe and then two slp mufflers will that be louder then just my slp cat back with high flow cat? or will it be toned down some?

also im getting new seats changing my cloth on the door panels to suede and getting a black leather seat in the bak

i need another z06 wheel becuase one fo them got fucked up

im doing 4.10s for sure

im getting a new front end two fenders a ss hood and bumper thats 500 bucks

im changing my cold air intake to the ss style intake

im also getting slotted rotors

so whatever else should i get? i would like to do a cam but i drive this car alot and i dont want problems and i dont want to get charged a arm and leg to have a cam put in my car

is there anything else i can do to feel a power gain

(NO "N-O-S")
Old 03-09-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Bud, no offense do what you want, but I would give that money back to the government. Why? Interest. Sure it sounds like a great idea! I was going to do the same thing so I could upgrade my daily driver to a used Escalade. Then I realized I would be paying MEGA interest on it, and not to mention the added time for payments on the loan. Take it from someone who's been dealing with school loans for a while now, and is graduating next year. Try to work to save up the money to fix up your car, in the long run you'll be better off.

As far as what you want to do with the car? 4:10's are a waste unless you plan on getting a 12 bolt or 9 inch because they'll break very easily in the 6 speed. Most will tell you the SS intake is not better than the regular CAI. Headers and a regular reputable catback will suit you just fine and give you great results. Are your rotors still in good shape? If so the gain with the slotted rotors will be minimal. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

sl1 brakes in front are shot i needed rotors 20K miles ago they are cracked so im sure it will be a good stopping gain and even if its not i still need them no matter what so why not upgrade to slotted

headers will give me a great gain and i dont want a single tube cat abck like i have now

i need to take a loan out anyways to pay off my **** so i can go to wyotech tickets ect. so whats another 2-3K my payment is only 130 bucks a month anyways
Old 03-10-2007, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
Bud, no offense do what you want, but I would give that money back to the government. Why? Interest. Sure it sounds like a great idea! I was going to do the same thing so I could upgrade my daily driver to a used Escalade. Then I realized I would be paying MEGA interest on it, and not to mention the added time for payments on the loan. Take it from someone who's been dealing with school loans for a while now, and is graduating next year.
Interest on school loans are typically deferred until after graduation.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Built LT1
And interest on school loans is tax deductable, senior Finance major baby!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Hey you guys could disagree with me, but I would rather not have to pay that money back later on!!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Student loans are about the cheapest money you will ever borrow when it comes to un-secured loans. I would simply say, just repair the items that need to be addressed on your car and put the additional money towards paying off any current debt you might have aquired. Marketing major !
Old 03-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

i've got a ss style intake i can sell ya. if you want some pics hit me up. i just got a vortech supercharger so i don't need it anymore.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Built LT1

Not all of it, it depends on income. I had no job back "when" and half of mine were still tagged with interest.

Also interest isn't the same as it used to be when they jumped interest up to ~7.4%.

That is auto loan territory, not the ~3.4% it used to be.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

...Yeah, if you qualify through FASFA they give ~~~$2k but I know at my school it gets kinda hairy if you want to withdraw the money. (for books and stuff they give you vouchers to store)

As far as Power adders are concerned I think in the great state Cali-fornia the only easy way to add power is with laughing gas. Or be willing to swap your exhaust at every test, or I guess some people go as far as pull their engine too.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

if you are really set on doing this, save yourself the money and buy regular rotors instead. slotted and/or cross drilled wont do jack for you besides cut down on braking surface area.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:13 AM
Teching In

Really, student loans are pretty slick little things..

I would like to sound extremely mature and all-knowing and say no, dont do that! but I just bought my Trans Am with those loans.. So... ha, I have nothing to say as far as that goes.. I know I work my **** off 40 hours a week, nights and go to school 40 hours a week days, and decided to treat myself to something after a year and change of this..

Anyway, back on track.. usual stuff. Do you have a reputable local exhuast shop? You could perhaps get a set of long tubes and drop some coin on a true dual or something. CAI, etc. The hot cam kit seems to have a fair return in hp per dollar spent as well and would be (atleast for me) a consideration unless you plan on a forced induction setup in the near future.

Really though, I see so very often, money dropped for mods that needs to go else-where. How long has it been sicne you had a GOOD tune up? Whats your code situation? I would address ALL the general maintenance stuff first and foremost before you start to try to ring more power out of the car.

Just my .02
Old 03-11-2007, 06:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
Hey you guys could disagree with me, but I would rather not have to pay that money back later on!!
+1

By time I get out of school, not only will I be paying off school dept, but looking for my first home. I rather make house payments...lol.

-bryan
Old 03-11-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
You have got to be kidding me. F$ck that school it is my money you are nothing more than a middle man charging me $34 for both the subsidized and the un-subsidized loans (total $68).

Don't give me a voucher send me my d$mn check after you pull about $100 in BS fees so I can go and buy books like a big boy and a man. I didn't go through years in the military so you can tell me how to spend my money that I am paying interest on.

Anyway sorry for that rant... It just annoys me how some schools try and baby me when I gave blood, 3 major glands, 16 pounds of muscle, 9 months in and out of a hospital, 2 years of stay home in bed with my mother doddering over me to heal up, followed by a lifetime of having to take 4 pills twice a day so that I can remember my own all to this country so I can beg for cash to get an associates degree from a community college.
i apriciate you fighting for my freedom man. thanks a lot. however, being wounded for your country proves nothing of your credit. banks cant just trust you because you lost 3 organs.

anyway, with the money, i would use it to fix the drivability issues like the rotors. then i would save the rest of it, my 2 cents
Old 03-11-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
I gave blood, 3 major glands, 16 pounds of muscle, 9 months in and out of a hospital, 2 years of stay home in bed with my mother doddering over me to heal up..

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
i apriciate you fighting for my freedom man. thanks a lot. however, being wounded for your country proves nothing of your credit. banks cant just trust you because you lost 3 organs.

anyway, with the money, i would use it to fix the drivability issues like the rotors. then i would save the rest of it, my 2 cents
I don't think glands = organs, but they're still important!

Anyway, its your money, do whatever you want with it. If you want to fix some of the driveability issues with your car, thats cool. If you want some light mods, thats cool too. Theres just a give and a take here. You have fun now and you'll pay more later. You sacrifice the fun now, and you'll pay that loan off sooner.

If it was me, I'd just do the stuff to keep it running.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
I don't think glands = organs, but they're still important!

lol sorry
Old 03-11-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
lol sorry
It's cool. The losing 3 glands part isn't cool though.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

You could get a good tune since your installing 4.10s. 4.10's in a 10bolt is asking for it.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Boasting about using money that's not yours in a fraudulent manner, according to the legal agreement you signed to get the loan, all in a public forum, does not sound like something you'll want to be putting on your resume.

Being stupid about breaking laws isn't such a great idea.

Best -- Gary
Old 03-11-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z48LT-1
Boasting about using money that's not yours in a fraudulent manner, according to the legal agreement you signed to get the loan, all in a public forum, does not sound like something you'll want to be putting on your resume.

Being stupid about breaking laws isn't such a great idea.

Best -- Gary

Haha. Good point.