LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Crank, and rod ID for LT-1 383???? & a few other questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crank, and rod ID for LT-1 383???? & a few other questions.....

Hey guys, didn't really know what to put for the title so I'll make my explination short.

~Part 1~
I have a freind who claims to have a Scat 9000 383 crank. I went over to his house to find out it is in fact a Scat because it is in raised letters on one of the weights. It is a one peice main seal and looks to be for an LT-1, but I really cant tell what the stroke would be. The only numbers I found on the crank were stamped on the very front of the first weight with the number "BW1775" on it. I can't find this number anywhere. I would take a pic for you guys, but I'm at my house now. I didn't bring it with me to do research on it because it was raining pretty hard out.

~Part2~
I did get two of the pistons/rods tho. I got out the mic and measured the compresson distance and found the pistons to be in fact a 383 for a 5.7" rod. Pistons are Keith-Black Silv-o-Lite Claimer pistons. Now that I know what the pistons are, I wanted to know what the rods are. To me, they look like stock rods, but on the caps next to both of the bolt holes there is an "X". Other than that, there are no other ID's of any sort. Again, I am assuming stock rods. They are in fact 5.7" rods.

~Part3~
Now, if all of this is a true 383 setup, the guy is giving it to me for 200 bones. All I need to know is if the stock 94' LT-1 block will need any machining to make this work other than a bore? What about clearancing? Is that somthing that has to be done? I know it has to be at least checked to make sure the crank will clear. Also, will a CC306 cam work or do I need a special cam clearanced for the 383 crank?

~Part4~
Ok, sorry to bore you, this is my last question.....why would anyone pull so much material off of a rod? I would assume this is for some sort of balancing thing??? Check out my pics and see what I am talking about.

Thanks for any help guys.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Crank, and rod ID for LT-1 383???? & a few other questions.....-pistons-001.jpg   Crank, and rod ID for LT-1 383???? & a few other questions.....-pistons-004.jpg   Crank, and rod ID for LT-1 383???? & a few other questions.....-pistons-005.jpg   Crank, and rod ID for LT-1 383???? & a few other questions.....-pistons-006.jpg   Crank, and rod ID for LT-1 383???? & a few other questions.....-pistons-007.jpg  

Old 03-11-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think all that is removed from the rods to allow the longer stroke...
Old 03-11-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I heard many remove material from the cylinder walls instead of rods.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
I think all that is removed from the rods to allow the longer stroke...
Why would this be done on one single rod? None of the other rods were touched in this way, but they were shaved a little bit.

Joe
Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

The BW1775 stands for bob weight that it was balanced to. Those are stock gm x rods and look to be an aftermarket bolt. If this package is all balanced together it is def. worth 200.00. The material taken off the rod was in fact taken for balancing.