LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: Should i do the header install myself?
Yes
90.09%
No
9.91%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Header poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Header poll

Should i do the install myself?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is extremely straight forward, just takes a lot of patience. If you have some confidence with tools you'll be fine.

My biggest advice is to soak the factory exhaust manifold bolts in PB blaster the day before. That will make your life a whole lot easier when you plan on pulling them off. I am sure other people will post in their $.02 with tricks they've found to work as well.

Here is a writeup done by Javier -- it should help you some as well
http://www.zmydust.com/headers/index.htm
Old 03-12-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Well to save money I would say do it yourself. However are you mechanically inclined and have the right tools to do it? We need to know more about you!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Where do you get PB Blaster?

I have the tools and jackstands and i kinda helped/ watched the installation on the old car. But i know you have to do the o2 extensions and im not fimilliar with wiring so i dont know.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

I also did the springs myself
Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

PB Blaster you can find at any hardware or local autoparts store. It is the same as liquid wrench, WD40, etc. They just help loosen the rusted, 12+ year old, heat cycled bolts that hold the factory manifolds on. Basically you just have to let the car sit for about 12 hours befor you plan on doing the install, and just spray the bolts down every hour or so and let it soak.

Basically take a look at that link I put there and see if it seems like something you'd be interested in doing. If not, shop around and see if you can find a shop to do it for a reasonable price.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:38 AM
TECH Resident

I didn't vote in your pole because there are too many variables. It's a challenging job for a novice. Like WhyHelloOfficer mentioned patience is key.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, pb blaster, 3/8ths (i believe) craftsman ratchet wrench. because theres not much room to turn back forth. you will wear out your forearm turning a regular wrench over and over and over and over. trust me. i put headers on my lt1 and my brothers ls1. both were a bitch but we got em done. it was all better when your drinking beer and staring at them when your done. you sleep real good too. good luck!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having a hand helps, I have done header installs on LT1's and LS1 as well as my 70 CHevelle, I am doing a 2nd install on my car starting today, I know what needs to be done but having a hand never hurts.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
PB Blaster you can find at any hardware or local autoparts store. It is the same as liquid wrench, WD40, etc. They just help loosen the rusted, 12+ year old, heat cycled bolts that hold the factory manifolds on. Basically you just have to let the car sit for about 12 hours befor you plan on doing the install, and just spray the bolts down every hour or so and let it soak.

Basically take a look at that link I put there and see if it seems like something you'd be interested in doing. If not, shop around and see if you can find a shop to do it for a reasonable price.
Do it man. You'll be glad you did afterward.Labor charges are $$$! Just take WhyHelloOfficer's advice and it'll work out fine. I soaked my 93's stock 160K bolts in PB Blaster for 24 hours, and they came out easily. I do recommend getting someone to help, and paying them in beer. Thats what I did

Last edited by theroad64; 03-13-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Go ahead and do it. It's headers now but on down the road you'll want more done to your car and you'll love not having to pay for it. Also get experience, you will be suprised at how many people will pay you good money for installing mods on their car. That's what I do when I need spare money.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

The reward of hearing your exhaust fire up for the first time after you've been laying on your back for a weekend is enough motivation to do it your self. Why let some mechanic have that privlage.

As far as extensions go I just bought them from thunder racing, that way I don't have to worry about crimps failling. I also had to buy new O^2 since the old ones refused to come out.

My most important advice, in addition to the above mentioned, is over budget and don't get frustrated, even when your on your back at 3am and the exhaust doesnt want to line up.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Do you need to take the passenger side valve cover off to get the header ?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Make sure you have another person to help.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 95camaroz28
Do you need to take the passenger side valve cover off to get the header ?
I had to take my passenger side valve cover off to get my pacesetter long tubes in. Actually got it stuck next to the head while going down from the top. Just needed a bigger hammer to help it thats all.

That damn egr tube in the back of it realllllllllllllly made it much more diffuclt to get in. Had that not been there they would have slid easialy into place from the bottom. If you dont need the emissions stuff dont get it. Little easier to install.

I took my stering shaft out for the drivers side an went in easily.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
It is extremely straight forward, just takes a lot of patience. If you have some confidence with tools you'll be fine.

My biggest advice is to soak the factory exhaust manifold bolts in PB blaster the day before. That will make your life a whole lot easier when you plan on pulling them off. I am sure other people will post in their $.02 with tricks they've found to work as well.

Here is a writeup done by Javier -- it should help you some as well
http://www.zmydust.com/headers/index.htm
Excellant write up. The only things i did different is i had to remove the steering shaft on the driver side and i got the passenger side header to go right in from the bottom. Now this is on a 97 SS camaro so like zmydust said, every car is different. Take your time and like everyone has said here patience is the key. Stop and take 15minutes when you get agitated, i know i had too. Worth the money saved and you can show your work off when you're done. Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Also i meant to add this is with coated hooker headers. I loved the hooker y pipe because it comes in sections so you can adjust it and it slides right in.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

You don't need a poll to determine if you should install or have them installed? Dude get a fellow fbody enthusiast to help you and get this done, time you finish reading this poll you'd be finished and you'd save the labor. Several writeup how-tos all over the place, with pics too.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Definately use pb blaster or kroil oil. WD-40 is a lubricant and also used to dry moisture out, it is not a rust penetrator. Just let them soak and you'll probably get them out. If that doesn't work you can alway use every mechanics best friend the torch.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Launching!

shops charge way to much, although I would to.
Plus just doing things for yourself feels a lot better then paying someone.