LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Function of the downstream o2's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Function of the downstream o2's?

Ok, after about 4 hours of fighting with my bank one, downstream o2 I gave up. I had it on a lift and threw everything the shop had it at and it wont budge one tiny little bit. We PB'd, we heated it, we beat it, impacted it, used every goofy *** tool imaginable and all we managed to do was to bang up the o2 a little..Ok, a lot, but its not stripped out by any means.

Any way..

A random mechanic wanders over while Im cussing and kicking and generally being in a bad mood and asks the problem, I tell him, heres what he tells me..

Leave it, all the downstream ones do is tell you if the cat is functioning as intended. It doesnt actually make any adjustment or change in the way the car runs, just reports about the cat.

So, any truth to that? If thats the case I'm gonna feel a whole lot better about the fact I CAN NOT get this thing out. if I go at it any harder than I did I'll either round the thing off completely or rip the threads right out of the exhaust bung.. I dont want to do either of these things cause I REALLY dont want to to drop the Y pipe.

Im getting an SES light, but I'm also pulling an EGR code I have yet to figure out. Im guessing this o2 will pop the light on though wont it?

Also.. Any suggestions on getting this thing out? Its a monster.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

He is right the after cat ones are just watch for cat function and cause zero adjustment to the way the engine runs.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much. Screw it for now then, I'll just leave it. I have an EGR code to work out, maybe thats why its so damn rich... lol.

Quick Reply: Function of the downstream o2's?