LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How long can you let a fresh motor sit after oil pump prime and still be safe

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long can you let a fresh motor sit after oil pump prime and still be safe

Like the title says, I put muy motor together around almost a year ago I primed the oil pump and put it in the car but, to this day still gathering parts to finish. Also I was told I could use a synthetic BLEND oil for the break in. Any input would be helpfull.

Specs on the motor are:
383ci. Eagle crank, Eagle 6' H beam rods
fully ported stock heads and intake
custom ground cam
Old 03-17-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oil change schedule
3 months
3000 miles
once oil is opened the contamination process has started,you would not want to drink stagnet(sp)water..i would change the oil with fresh oil and use the old oil in a daily driver
Old 03-17-2007, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

First I would NOT run synthetic for break-in its to slippery and the rings dont seat to the walls. Run conventional oil for break in and that way you can change it every 100 miles (cause its cheap) to get all the metal shavings out so they dont clog lifters, etc.......

About the priming you cant do to much (as far as I know) . If you used assembly lube then I wouldnt worry much about it. Someone will chime in with more details......
Old 03-17-2007, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Use conventional oil only and your going to have to prime the oil pump again, it doesnt stay primed....My engine builder told me if I don't start the engine within an hour of priming the oil pump i would have to prime it again. So you need to prime it then get it started.

It is harder to do on our lt1 cars since we don't have a conventional distributor. I primed mine the hard way using a drill to spin the pump shaft then as fast as i could reasembled the intake manifold and everything and then started it.

Unfortanatly, this is probably why i have a little intake leak because i didnt let the rtv sealant sit long enough. So this is the downside to priming it this way.

There are pressurized oil filters that shoot up oil so you dont have a dry start but i don't know much about these maybe someone else will.

Anyways short answer use only conventional oil and yes you should prime the oil pump.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:48 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wire in a bump start switch. i use it primarily to lash my valves, but after it sitting all winter the first thing i did was prime it for about 40 seconds
Old 03-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

I thought about an oil acumulator but I think it would be overkill on a "street" car.Also I was told by an old time hotrod guy to not use synthetic but to use a synthetic blend so that's what I put in it when I primed it the first time.

Quick Reply: How long can you let a fresh motor sit after oil pump prime and still be safe